Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] BSoD - Seems drive related

1K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 ·
Greetings helpful people

I'm having issues with blue screens of death, They seems to happen at random wherever i use the PC or if it's idle.

The 2 most common errors I'm getting is.

Process was unable to read data, or so
and a kernel read error.

Both seems to be related to the drive some sorts.

Furthermore, after bsod have rebooted my computer, i get the start up message that no valid boot drive is available and to enter bios to set one up.

After physically cutting to power to the PC and turning it back on, it finds it fine again and boots without problems, .. until next time.

What i have done:
I have followed all the steps as provided in This article
I have checked the cables
Have done a memory test with windows memory diagnostics

What i haven't done:
upgraded firmware of the drive

Observations:
When trying to reinstall windows it list the none boot drive first. (no idea if this matter)

I'm running a 2 drive setup, one SSD for OS and certain games and programs, and a larger drive for storage, documents, picture, downloads and other big files.

I had pretty much the exact same issue with my old motherboard and CPU.

Specs
OCZ Agility3 120gb
WD Caviar Green 2tb
I7 3770 ivy
P8Z77-V LK
8gb Corsair vengeance
560 ti
Win7 64bit

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
-Klaus

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: BSoD - Seems drive related

Well, take my advice with a grain of salt, but I always recommend updating SSD firmware to the latest version.. and I have personally never heard of manufacturers advising not to update.

SSD's are brand new architecture. Depending on when you buy the SSD, it may or may not ship with the latest firmware installed. With that said, the firmware updates manufacturers release bring out a lot of fixes.

I know every manufacturer is different, and for example Crucial's M4's cannot run with a specific firmware update after a certain amount of hours, but in a situation like this, I would recommend updating the firmware.

Regards,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.