Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD Page Dump in Nonpaged Area?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD Page Dump in Nonpaged Area? within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop bluescreened whilst web browsing, non intensive activity was underway. Didn't have much time to read it but i

Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop bluescreened whilst web browsing, non intensive activity was underway. Didn't have much time to read it but i think it said "Page Dump in NonPaged Area".

I has BSOD'd before twice in the last two weeks but both times were a USB related error message, possibly related to an inherent flaw in my laptop which is a loose connection to the inbuilt webcam.

This thread is about the most recent one, the Page Dump one.

32 bit
Original OS was Vista, pre installed when system bought
Hardware 5 years old
OS may have been reinstalled when laptop was serviced 2 years ago (not sure)

Laptop
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core QL-65 2.10GHz
Motherboard: unknown
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 512mb dedicated
PSU: OEM 90W HP AC Adapter

System Manufacturer: HP
Model: DV6-1210sa

Any other info needed please let me know. Thanks very much.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Report BSOD bennett346.rar (1.65 MB, 28 views)
bennett346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)

This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

Usual causes are a bug in a device driver, hardware related memory issues, corrupt NTFS volume, anti-virus software.

Quote:
IMAGE_NAME: hardware

MODULE_NAME: hardware
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)

A system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

Code:
1: kd> .exr 0xffffffffa8b4b9f4
ExceptionAddress: bc16e0f6 (USBPORT!USBPORT_EndpointFromHandle+0x0000000e)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
   Parameter[0]: 00000000
   Parameter[1]: 0000000c
Attempt to read from address 0000000c
BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER (fe)

The is a problem with the USB hardware (motherboard or attachments) or the USB device driver has a bug.

Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista Kernel Version 6001 (Service Pack 1)

Try this hotfix - Error message when you try to put a Windows Vista-based computer to sleep or into hibernation: "STOP 0x000000FE BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER"

Quote:
possibly related to an inherent flaw in my laptop which is a loose connection to the inbuilt webcam.
Most likely, does the webcam work whatsoever?

What other USB devices are you using regularly that are / would be connected to the system?

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Patrick,

The webcam has never worked properly from day one. Often i hear the USB disconnected sound through windows and then a bubble will popup from the tray saying "you can plug this into a USB high speed 2.0 port" or something along those lines. It's the connection to the webcam that's been faulty and the first USB related BSOD was caused by me pressing the laptop lid bezel as i was closing it. This must have caused the wire to disconnect momentarily.

The only other USB devices i use is are a flight joystick and a logitech gamepad. These are not connected when the BSODs are occuring.

You are right in identifying an error with BSOD when the laptop is told to hibernate. 1 in 2 attempts cause it to do so but as it's a laptop and i'm closing the lid to hibernate it i don't realise until i reopen it and it's at the desktop with an error report.

I'll try the hotfix for now and let you know.

Thanks,

James
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated. If the hotfix does not help, given that the webcam connection is internally not right, the laptop will either need to be repaired or replaced (depends on warranty, of course).

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks again Patrick.

The laptop is thankfully under extended warranty. Browsing the web it appears to be a common issue with HP laptops with this built in device. Would disabling it in the hardware manager prevent it from connecting and disconnecting in windows after i've done the hotfix just as a secondary measure or would this not be necessary?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Would disabling it in the hardware manager prevent it from connecting and disconnecting in windows after i've done the hotfix just as a secondary measure or would this not be necessary?
Definitely worth a try.

Also, I noticed I forgot to mention to update to Service Pack 2 when you get a chance - Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Will have a look, i assumed i was on the latest version since windows update mentioned nothing so thanks for that.

I will update this thread in the coming days when i know if the hotfix has prevented the problem or not. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My pleasure, I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well, no repeats so far so i'd say its worked! Thanks for your time.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

My pleasure, thanks for the update and glad to hear. I've marked this as solved. Please let me know if you ever happen to have further issues.

Regards,

Patrick