Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD Only on startup

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD Only on startup within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I feel like my computer hates me. I updated my Nvidia drivers and a day later it just refuses to

Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I feel like my computer hates me. I updated my Nvidia drivers and a day later it just refuses to go past the Windows screen unless I run it in safe mode where it doesn't use the Nvidia drivers. Since then I've done a fresh install of them (didn't work). I've reinstalled Windows 7 (didn't work) and then tried reinstalling the drivers on the clean Windows 7 I had just installed (didn't work). I ended up just removing them period so that I could log on and use my internet since my WiFi was being finicky in safe mode. I have a Nvidia 470GTX and don't really have the money available to replace it. Any help would be great!
Attached Files
File Type: zip System Report.zip (710.4 KB, 60 views)
BlazingBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) bugcheck.

The basic definition of a 0x116 bugcheck is:

There may be a bug in the video driver or video hardware.
So, let me now explain what VIDEO_TDR_ERROR means. First off, TDR is an acronym for Timeout Detection and Recovery. Timeout Detection and Recovery was introduced in Vista and carried over to Windows 7. Rather than putting exactly what Timeout Detection and Recovery does exactly, I'll just directly quote the MSDN article!
Timeout detection:
The GPU scheduler, which is part of the DirectX graphics kernel subsystem (Dxgkrnl.sys), detects that the GPU is taking more than the permitted amount of time to execute a particular task. The GPU scheduler then tries to preempt this particular task. The preempt operation has a "wait" timeout, which is the actual TDR timeout. This step is thus the timeout detection phase of the process. The default timeout period in Windows Vista and later operating systems is 2 seconds. If the GPU cannot complete or preempt the current task within the TDR timeout period, the operating system diagnoses that the GPU is frozen.
To prevent timeout detection from occurring, hardware vendors should ensure that graphics operations (that is, DMA buffer completion) take no more than 2 seconds in end-user scenarios such as productivity and game play.
Preparation for recovery:
The operating system's GPU scheduler calls the display miniport driver's DxgkDdiResetFromTimeout function to inform the driver that the operating system detected a timeout. The driver must then reinitialize itself and reset the GPU. In addition, the driver must stop accessing memory and should not access hardware. The operating system and the driver collect hardware and other state information that could be useful for post-mortem diagnosis.
Desktop recovery:
The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The video memory manager, which is also part of Dxgkrnl.sys, purges all allocations from video memory. The display miniport driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As previously mentioned, some legacy DirectX applications might render just black at the end of this recovery, which requires the end user to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 and later applications that handle Device Remove technology continue to work correctly. An application must release and then recreate its Direct3D device and all of the device's objects. For more information about how DirectX applications recover, see the Windows SDK.
Article here.
With this being said, if Timeout Detection and Recovery fails to recover the display driver, it will then shoot the 0x116 bugcheck. There are many different things that can cause a 0x116, which I will explain below:

The following hardware issues can cause a TDR event:

Quote:
1. Unstable overclock (CPU, GPU, etc). Revert all and any overclocks to stock settings.

2. Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between the GPU and the system (video memory otherwise known as VRAM or physical memory otherwise known as RAM).

GPU testing: Furmark

RAM testing: Memtest86+

3. Corrupt hard drive or Windows install / OS install resulting in corruption to the registry or page file.

HDD diagnostics: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

To reset your page file, follow the instructions below:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.

b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.

c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)

d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step

b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.

e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

Run System File Checker:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"

In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

- Overheating of the CPU or GPU and or other components can cause 0x116 bugchecks. Monitor your temperatures and ensure the system is cooled adequately.

- GPU failure. Whether it's heat, power issue (PSU issue), failing VRAM, etc.
The following software issues can cause a TDR event:
Quote:
-Incompatible drivers of any sort (either GPU, sound, etc)

-Messy / corrupt registry

-Bad direct x files (uninstall, then reinstall DirectX)

-bad system files (System File Checker - was run above)

-Bad driver (some drivers will cause an event due to internal bugs, however these are not nearly as common as many think due to all of the previous things causing the same symptom) - (remove all 3rd party programs and check to be sure drivers aren't loading. Then install only the necessary 3rd party stuff, and ensure it's the latest version).
Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you! I will start trying what you've suggested and see what happens.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My pleasure, for the Memtest, run it for NO less than ~8 passes (several hours).

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

When I try to run FurMark it gives me the error of "Could not initialize ZoomGPU. FurMark startup failed. Bye!"
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Quote:
ZoomGPU failure is when the software and card cant comminicate. It is the auto detection thats the problem.

ZoomGPU retrieves general video card information (like the renderer description, graphics drivers version, GPU codename or GPU temperature) but also information related to OpenGL API support (version, extensions, etc.) and OpenCL. Direct3D API support will be added soon.
Possible video card issues. Do you have access to onboard video to test?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes I do, I have a AMD 880G Chipset (ATI Radeon HD 4250)
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I'd recommend removing the GPU and enabling and using onboard video to rule out video card issues.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

When I removed the card and plugged my hdmi cord into the hdmi port on the mobo I turned it on and it booted up fine... Except for the fact nothing is showing up on my screen. I tried a different hdmi cord just in case to.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Onboard video may be disabled in the BIOS, double check.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

Nope it's turned on. Strange that even with my bios set to use internal graphics it only shows stuff on the screen when the graphics card is plugged in.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Very strange that it's not working with the onboard video. Possible board failure? Not sure.....

Have you tried clearing the CMOS + ensured the cable is connected properly or any other monitors to test on?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

I cleared the CMOS and tried it on 2 monitors. I'm not surprised that it's my MoBo since when I first one I bought was DOA. I'm going to try the card in my brothers computer that has relatively same setup and see if it works.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Got it and good work, thanks for the update.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Registered Member

As of this morning I took my brothers graphics card out of his computer (Nvidia 9800GTX+) and put mine in. I then did a clean install of the drivers making sure the old ones were deleted. I restarted the computer and got the same Blue Screen at the same place as before. If anything I'm more confused, could both the board and the card be bad?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Did your system suffer the same BSOD, or did his? Does his computer work with your video card?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Registered Member

His computer had the same BSOD as mine. I couldn't try the other card due to not having a dvi cord for it.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Okay, so his computer worked absolutely fine until you removed the GPU from your computer and switched it to his and then switched his GPU to yours, and now he is BSOD'ing + you are still BSOD'ing with HIS GPU?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Registered Member

His computer ran fine once I took card out and put his back in.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Registered Member

His computer worked fine after I took my card out and put his back in. I can't use his card because I don't have a dvi cord to use for my monitor. My card is mini hdmi.