Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD - ntkrpamp.exe DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD - ntkrpamp.exe DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I hope I've all the necessary information here. HP dm1 laptop that recently suffered a problem with the battery being

Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

I hope I've all the necessary information here.

HP dm1 laptop that recently suffered a problem with the battery being unable to retain a charge. This caused the laptop to continually BSOD while in Sleep mode. I have since replaced the battery but the problem persists. BSOD happens both on battery power only, and when plugged into mains. It rarely happens when I put the laptop to sleep myself, but if it goes into screensaver and then sleep it almost always goes BSOD.

WhoCrashed says the culprit is ntkrpamp.exe

Windows 7 x86 SP1
OS is OEM version
System is 2 years old, as is OS

CPU is AMD-E350 1.6 Ghz (2 core)
Video Card is AMD Radeon HD 6310M
Motherboard is original HMP dm1 Notebook PC model
Power Supply is standard dm1 notebook power adapter, PPP009l series, 65w; likewise battery is standard Dm1 6 cell model. I'm afraid I can't work out which of the numbers is the model number.

System manufacturer, HP
Model: HP dm1 3200ea

Thanks, David.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2 + perfmon.zip (2.38 MB, 81 views)
hairy_yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) bugcheck.

This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

Probably caused by : vwifibus.sys

^^ Virtual WiFi Bus Driver. This is a Windows system driver.

If we run an !irp on the 4th parameter of the bugcheck (blocked IRP address), we get the following:

Code:
0: kd> !irp 89ed7708
Irp is active with 4 stacks 3 is current (= 0x89ed77c0)
 No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000:  Irp stack trace.  
     cmd  flg cl Device   File     Completion-Context
 [  0, 0]   0  0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000    

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
 [  0, 0]   0  0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000    

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
>[ 16, 2]   0 e1 886f0028 00000000 8336cd5d-89cc62f8 Success Error Cancel pending
           \Driver\vwifimp    nt!PopSystemIrpCompletion
This is the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Driver (also a Windows system driver, therefore not the true cause and is likely be caused by another device driver).

I'd recommend enabling Driver Verifier to look for further device driver corruption and or conflicts:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - Restore Point - Create in Windows 8

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the incredibly speedy response. I will follow your advice and report back with results.

Best, David.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My pleasure, I look forward to your response. Given the culprits we've seen so far, I am inclined to believe we're dealing with a possible WiFi issue. The first one was in regards to its bus... so I hope not hardware!

If verifier doesn't show any clues, I am going to recommend uninstalling WiFi drivers and installing the latest version via your manufacturers website (HP).

Regards,

Patrick
Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,

Just a belated update. The verifier didn't find anything, so I removed and reinstalled my wireless drivers and the problem appears to have stopped (it hasn't happened in the last week anyway!) I've now acquired a separate issue I may need to post elsewhere for a resolution (my wifi now takes 1-2 minutes to reconnect when I start from hibernation) but thank you for your advice - I had no idea a solution would be so straight forward!

Thanks, David.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hi David,

Glad to hear, and good work. A week is a fairly long time in regards to no BSOD's and what I'd consider the 'curing point', so I am going to mark this thread as solved. If you have any further BSOD's, please let me know and I will unmark it and assist you ASAP.

In the meantime, in regards to the network issues, you may want to go here - Networking Forum - Tech Support Forum

Regards,

Patrick