Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD Due to Driver Issues

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD Due to Driver Issues within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have gotten a BSOD from driver issues twice now, both times stating "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS". I have Googled enough to realize

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have gotten a BSOD from driver issues twice now, both times stating "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS". I have Googled enough to realize it's a driver issue which makes sens as I just formatted my laptop last week. All I need to know is exactly which driver it is, so I attached the two Mini Dumps. Unfortunately I have seen in all of the forum posts people say it's easier to just upload these than try to sift through them myself, but if that is not the case, I would love to know how to read these files and make sense of them myself. Thank you for any an all assistance, I greatly appreciate it!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (48.9 KB, 27 views)
razmeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

We have to attached dumps and two different bugchecks:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

A kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL (Interrupt Request Level) that was too high.

Usual causes are a device driver has a bug and attempted to access invalid memory, the pagefile has been corrupted or there is a memory problem.

MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS (44)

A driver has tried to request an IRP (I/O Request Packet) be completed that is already complete.

Usual causes are a device driver issue.

Both of these dumps are faulting the driver Wdf01000.sys which is not the true culprit as it's the WDF Dynamic - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime. There is likely another 3rd party device driver causing conflicts, and to see if this is the case, let's enable Driver Verifier.

However, before doing that, do the following:

1. In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - Restore Point - Create in Windows 8

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the assistance, I uninstalled Daemon Tools Lite and enabled Driver Verification. The system BSOD-ed again, so I attached the latest minidump. Hopefully this will be the one that points to the issue!
Attached Files
File Type: rar minidump.rar (21.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

The attached DMP file is of the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) bugcheck and is verifier enabled. It's flagging hcmon.sys which is the VMware USB monitor driver.

Check for an update - VMware Virtualization Support, Desktop and Datacenter Virtualization Product Downloads

If there's no update available, I'd recommend for temporary troubleshooting purposes removing this software.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Since VMware is a symptom and not a cause, I removed the NEC drivers listed for my HP 8540p laptop and replaced them with Renesas drivers. I've now gone a full 2 days without a BSOD, so that may have resolved the issue. I'll update this thread if I find that is not the case.

Thank you very much for your assistance with this, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

I will mark the thread as solved then, thank you very much for your update. If you ever have an issue, just re-post in this thread and I will assist you.

Regards,

Patrick