Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD (124)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD (124) within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Two months ago I installed an ASUS GTX 770 into my computer. Everything worked fine until about a week after

Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Two months ago I installed an ASUS GTX 770 into my computer. Everything worked fine until about a week after when I kept on getting a BSOD. When the computer crashes my monitor will go black, so I'm assuming something is wrong with the graphics card. Here are the dump files:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=file%2c.zip.

Can someone please look at these minidumps and tell me what is going on with my computer (in simple terms, I don't know much about computers).
aatomicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

We have various WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) bug checks.

A fatal hardware error has occurred. This fatal error displays data from the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

If we run an !errrec on the 2nd parameter of the bugcheck (address of the WER structure) we get the following:

Code:

===============================================================================
Section 0     : Processor Generic
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descriptor    @ fffffa800e156978
Section       @ fffffa800e156a50
Offset        : 344
Length        : 192
Flags         : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity      : Fatal

Proc. Type    : x86/x64
Instr. Set    : x64
Error Type    : BUS error
Operation     : Generic
Flags         : 0x00
Level         : 3
CPU Version   : 0x0000000000600f12
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Code:

===============================================================================
Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descriptor    @ fffffa800e156a08
Section       @ fffffa800e156b90
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264
Flags         : 0x00000000
Severity      : Fatal

Error         : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xfe00000000070f0f
  Address     : 0x00000000feaf8024
  Misc.       : 0xc00a0fff01000000

We have a BUS error here, more specifically a piece of hardware along the bus itself is causing a miscommunication with the processor due to being faulty, most likely. Given you noted this start happening directly after installing a new video card, that is more than likely the culprit here.

I can further support that likely being the crash because we also have a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e) bug check.

This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Very simple call stack...

1: kd> kb
RetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
00000000`00000000 : fffffa80`0f6ef000 fffffa80`0e6ad290 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nvlddmkm+0x39be1c

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x7E_nvlddmkm+39be1c

^^ nVidia video driver.

With this said, ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try.

-----------------------

After taking a look at the loaded modules list, I noticed - AtiPcie64.sys : Wed Mar 10 09:33:45 2010

^^ AMD PCIE Filter Drive, usually found in AMD/ATI video drivers which may not have been properly and/or fully removed before nVidia installation. I would go ahead and ensure ALL AMD drivers and software are fully uninstalled.

-----------------------

Remove and replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials for temporary troubleshooting purposes:

AVG removal tool - AVG | Download tools and utilities

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

If you're still crashing after the above driver recommendations, the video card itself is likely faulty. I would remove it physically from the machine and revert back to your old video card for troubleshooting purposes. If no crashes, RMA the video card for a replacement.

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for replying. I did all of the things that you suggested and now my computer works fine. Thank you very much for helping me out
aatomicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Great to hear, marked as solved. Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote