Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

PC shuts down for now reason Kernel-power 41

This is a discussion on PC shuts down for now reason Kernel-power 41 within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi recently my pc shuts down for no reason... and it doesn't go to Blue screen and it doesnt leave minidump files.. .it just turns off :( any ideas or help please ?

· OS - Windows 7
· x64
· fully actualized
· 2 months max
· CPU - DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) 6000+·
· MoBo - Asus M2R32-MVP (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
· Video Card- ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (512 MB)
· Power Supply - SEASONIC EnergyKnight SS-650HT, 650W with akt PFC +SATA +PCIe

Code:
- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 
   [ Guid]  {------------some nubmers were here:D -----} 

EventID 41 

Version 2 

Level 1 

Task 63 

Opcode 0 

Keywords 0x8000000000000002 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2010-03-14T12:25:30.253213500Z 

EventRecordID 43234 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID]  4 
   [ ThreadID]  8 

Channel System 

Computer Alexius-PC 

- Security 

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18 

- EventData 

BugcheckCode 0 
  BugcheckParameter1 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter2 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter3 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter4 0x0 
  SleepInProgress false 
  PowerButtonTimestamp 0

there is another error from two days ago but that one had something actually written in it..

Code:
- EventData 

BugcheckCode 278 
  BugcheckParameter1 0xfffffa8004478010 
  BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff88003bc6024 
  BugcheckParameter3 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter4 0x2 
  SleepInProgress true 
  PowerButtonTimestamp 0
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSF_Vista_Support.zip (1.62 MB, 24 views)

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The uploaded memory dump is a STOP 0x116.

First, please remove or update these older drivers that were loaded at the time of the crash. Don't use Windows Update or the Update drivers function of Device Manager.
Please use the following instructions to locate the most currently available drivers to replace the one's that you uninstall OR remove:
Quote:
How To Find Drivers:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: http://www.carrona.org/drvrdown.html

Here's the older drivers. Please pay particular attention to any dated 2007 or earlier:
Code:
adfs.SYS     Thu Jun 26 16:52:37 2008 - Adobe File System Filter driver - http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html#adfs.SYS
ASACPI.sys   Sun Mar 27 22:30:36 2005 - a known BSOD cause, the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility - http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html#ASACPI.sys
Then, try further troubleshooting by using the suggestions here: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...eshooting.html

Summary of the BSOD:
Code:
Built by: 7600.16385.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
Debug session time: Thu Mar 11 11:08:48.728 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:16:03.507
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8004478010, fffff88003bc6024, 0, 2}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+6024 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  System

Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Which drivers exactly should i remove ? reinstall.... ?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (10 computers), Windows XP SP3 32-bit (4 computers), Ubuntu Linux (2 comps)

First, have you run a 'Full Scan' with a good anti-virus product, like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)? You can download and install MSE for free, and in my experience (I am an OEM of custom-built computer systems), it works very well.

Second, your problem might be, that you are using an ATI Graphics card.

There have been widespread reports of ATI 4xxx and 5xxx Graphics card driver problems:

Quote:
There are 3 big categories of problems:

#1 is people experiencing 2d crashes: to these people, a good fix that seems to be working very well for most is to set your idle clocks higher (most suggest 400MHz for core and 900MHz for memory, but any value between that and 725/1000 should, in theory, be fine.

#2 is people experiencing 3d crashes: to these, it's a little bit more complicated. A lot of people had success by setting the voltage higher, or downclocking the core and memory for more stability. It certainly is a more complicated problem than the 2d crashes.

#3 is people (like me...) getting both. In this case, as far as I know, the only thing you can do is severely downclocking your core and memory in order to get more stability, but still... there are crashes (less often though...)
Full Article:
Radeon 5xxx Owners Report Grey Screens/Hangs

Quote:
A significant amount of ATI users have taken to the AMD user to user forums to complain about grey screens, crashes and colored-striped hangups.

(There's actually countless forums out there with threads like this – including at least 4 threads in our own forums. I'm concentrating on the AMD forums because these guys, between them, have collected nearly 40 pages of possible causes involving everything from Windows, to mobos, to RAM.)

So far it's unclear as to what is causing the problem. Users report that grey, brown or colored stripes/screen appear while playing games, watching movies and in some cases, while idle. The problems seems to be confined to the HD 5xxx series, although there are a couple of mentions of 4xxx cards.
One thing's for sure, there's a serious problem with the lineup; and so far ATI/AMD haven't stepped up to the plate to take care of it.

[The above was copied from a user's Post at PlanetAMD64, where I am a member.]

I think that this 'ATI Driver bug', is worth looking into.

[UPDATE] So after huge amounts of forum trawling, we're seeing the following model numbers crop up again and again: 4770, 4850, 4870, 5770, 5850 and 5870. The cards seem to be coming from all different companies; the following are the ones we've seen crop up more than a few times from different users: XFX, Sapphire, Diamond, ASUS and HIS.

Third, something that I always try first, [almost] regardless of the actual computer's failure symptoms, is a known-good power supply.

A power supply that is putting out incorrect voltages, or that has a lot of AC noise on the DC outputs, can appear as almost any problem under the sun. Even a brand-new power supply, from a reputable manufacturer, can be bad.

Power supplies today are so inexpensive, that I always have a selection of various sizes on-hand at all times (it helps that I am an OEM of custom-built computers).

Something else, that often fixes 'unstable' machines, is to [when the power is off and the computer's case is open] basically un-plug (disconnect) and re-plug (connect) all connectors, RAM (DIMM) modules, the CPU chip, etc. You should be sure to do this (un-plug and re-plug) on every connector that you can see, inside your computer.

It is surprising, how many 'weird' problems can be traced to a simple 'the connector was not fully plugged in' type of problem.

I hope this helps,
Art
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok, so basically the advice is to buy nVidia card ? :D if i got it right... anyway i will try MSE for sure :)

UPDATE: ok so i installed MSE, made full check and it found nothing... i think i have good AV+FW (Eset Smart Security)

one more thing that is rly cool tittle u have there ! xD
"There are very few problems in life that can't be fixed by the proper application of high explosives" :D :D :D
Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

The signature quote is from the movie named "Uncommon Valor" with Gene Hackman
I was a demolitions guy in the US Army for many years (usasma - United States Army Sergeants Major Academy).

If you've updated your drivers and checked for cooling issues on the video card - then maybe a new video card is called for.

First - replace these drivers:

adfs.SYS Thu Jun 26 16:52:37 2008 - Adobe File System Filter driver - http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html#adfs.SYS

ASACPI.sys Sun Mar 27 22:30:36 2005 - a known BSOD cause, the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility - http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html#ASACPI.sys

Next, download the latest display drivers for your video card from http://www.ati.com
DO NOT download the Catalyst Control Center - download the display drivers that are listed below the Catalyst Control Center (people have had problems with the Catalyst Control Center).

Once they're downloaded - go to Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program and uninstall all ATI stuff there.

Then install the display drivers that you downloaded.

Finally, check inside the case (unplug it first!) to ensure that there's power to your video card (some have additional power plugs built into the cards) - check to ensure that air is able to get to the video card cooler - and that the fans are all working (when you plug it back in - no hands inside the case!!!).

If all of that is done, Try this free video stress test: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Quote:
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
- Click "Quit" to exit
If that indicates that there is a problem, then a new video card is probably called for.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

last question.. how do i uninstall specific drivers like u told me ? e.g. ASACPI.sys... ? and how do i install em again ? :D

UPDATE: one more thing.. i have used the carrena site for reference where i can find those drivers.. but there i link jsut to asus support site.. and when i insert "ASACPI.sys" there it say no results and on adobe it is nearly the same.. so basically where do i find these drivers exactly ? :))

UPDATE2: I was jus thinking about it.. by using ATI CCC i can OC my card (ATI overdrive) but if i uninstall it how can i OC my card after ?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

asacpi.sys = Asus AI Suite

Asus driver updates --> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

jcgriff2

Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
asacpi.sys = Asus AI Suite

Asus driver updates --> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

jcgriff2

Thanks b u know i am rly not good at finding things :D so please can u tell me how to find it exactly ? because that page requires me to input my HW so i tried VGA and it found just display driver not "Asus AI Suite" so what should i put in ?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

ok so i've downloaded driver sweeper... nonow w the only thing i need to know is where/how exactly can i find those drivers because when i insert driver name on asus/adobe sites to search it won't find a thing... :(
Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Go to the Asus support site
Enter the information for your motherboard and OS
Click on the Utility category for the downloads
Download the ATK0110 ACPI Utility.

If you cannot find the ATK0110 ACPI Utility - you can also download and install either the Asus PCProbe utility or the Asus AISuite utility (which contain the ASACPI.sys driver).

Go to this page: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...ge=en-us&os=25
Click on Utilities
The first entry will be the ATK0110 ACPI Utility - download it
Then, double click on the AsAcpiIns.exe file in the 64 folder to install it.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yea thanks :) i managed to do this yesterday just by randomly looking around utilities for my mobo... anyway now when i have newest version of this... only the adobe driver is not reinstalled yet.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Have the BSODs and shutdowns stopped?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Registered Member

well see today, it usually shuts down when i run game and i'll be playing in the afternooon... so then ill report it if helped :)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

OK so it died again today :( no minidump no nothing only black screen with PC running i am startink to think that it is caused by Graphics :(
Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #16

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (10 computers), Windows XP SP3 32-bit (4 computers), Ubuntu Linux (2 comps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexius321 View Post
OK so it died again today :( no minidump no nothing only black screen with PC running i am startink to think that it is caused by Graphics :(
---------------------------------------

Can you possibly 'beg, borrow, or steal' (just temporarily!) a known-good nVidia graphics card? This should eliminate the 'graphics card driver' issue. Just let Windows find the 'new' hardware when it boots up; Windows should automatically find and install the 'best' possible graphics card driver.

Other possible problem areas include the following:

Make sure that your RAM size/configuration/part number, is supported by your Motherboard's 'Qualified Vendors List', or 'QVL' for short.

In ASUS Motherboard manuals, the QVL will be in the section describing how to install the RAM (DIMM) modules into the Motherboard.

For example, in the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe manual (I have 2 of these Motherboards), the QVL is in Section 2.4.2 'Memory configurations', starting on Page 2-12.

Also, if you have multiple RAM sticks (DIMMs), try installing just one at a time, in your Motherboard, to see if you have a bad one. Look in your Motherboard's manual, to see which socket (nearest or farthest from the CPU) is recommended when only one DIMM is installed.

I hope this helps,
Art
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

For that ram problems i have already experienced with my old rams... i jsut used program called "memtest" and it was pretty good it check whole ram for errors...

and installation of ram can't be the problem :) i do it really often (I am building PCs as a job... :) although when it comes to sw fails i am lost :D )
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
For that ram problems i have already experienced with my old rams... i jsut used program called "memtest" and it was pretty good it check whole ram for errors...

and installation of ram can't be the problem :) i do it really often (I am building PCs as a job... :) although when it comes to sw fails i am lost :D )
-------------------------------

With respect, and not trying to 'insult' you or your abilities and experience in any way, you cannot be sure about the RAM thing, unless you have found your specific RAM's part number(s) in the QVL for your Motherboard.

Running 'memtest-style' programs is a complete and utterly total waste of time, if 'unqualified' RAM sticks are installed in your Motherboard.

So again, with respect, please make sure that your specific DIMM module's part number(s), and their configuration, are supported in the QVL for your Motherboard.

We are (if there is 'non-QVL' RAM in your Motherboard) just wasting our (and your) time.

Respectfully,
Art
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
Registered Member

wow... that was harsh :D but i don't mind u r the wise guy here :) soo ok :) i'll go check that stuff roght now :)
Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
wow... that was harsh :D but i don't mind u r the wise guy here :) soo ok :) i'll go check that stuff roght now :)
---------------------------

OK, thanks, and please let us know what you find. ;-)

Art