Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ntoskrnl.exe bsod

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently upgraded to Win7 and have been have once-daily BSOD.

Gateway LX4710-01, three months old
Two HDD in same machine, same issue with both. OEM disc upgraded from Vista. Added HDD from an old XP machine, formatted and clean installed Win7.
Upgraded to HIS Radeon 4670 card immediately after purchase.

Installed Whocrashed to analyze the crashdump files, multiple duplicates of the following result:

Code:
On Sun 2/14/2010 5:45:56 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8004801060, 0xFFFFF80000B9C518, 0xFFFFFA8007057610)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021410-22308-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Two examples of the following result:

Code:
On Sun 2/14/2010 8:56:59 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x734F2DD9, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88003D44CA0)
Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020810-17971-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
These bsod occur mostly when the machine is not in use with no applications running.

I decided to check whether the video card drivers were causing the problem, ran the "verify" command on just the two ATI drivers. Rebooted and found the machine now crashed immediately after completion of the boot process.

Removed the software and drivers for the video card, physically removed the card. No difference, crashed immediately after completion of the boot process.

Reinstalled Win7 and am back to once daily crash.

I have added nothing to the machine except Firefox and Zone Alarm.

Also, I have a LeCie firewire external HDD that used to be recognized but no longer.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi -

"ntoskrnl.exe" = the Windows NT Kernel. It is the default blame for a BSOD probable cause.

Get rid of Zone-Alarm. It is notorious for causing BSODs.

The 0x9f (0x3,,,) bugcheck = driver in an inconsistent power state and blocking an IRP (I/O Request Packets ) for too long a time. Typically, I have found 3rd party firewalls involved in 0x9f crashes. Z/A fits this scenario perfectly.

Zone Alarm Removal --> http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc...&sg=2&st=846489&documentid=344897&action=view

Post Z/A removal, reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply, OK

I would recommend MS Security Essentials --> http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

See if BSODs persist.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#5 ·
Consider this problem solved.

Disabled ZA firewall and left the anti-virus/spyware in place, ran 30 hours without bsod.

Switched back to ZA firewall last night before going to bed, woke up this morning to find the machine had shut down, about 9 hours run time.

Is it safe to assume that either Checkpoint and/or MS will be working to solve this issue? I've never had any issues with ZA before (including with Vista) and like that the firewall stops traffic in both directions.

#6 ·
There is nothing for Microsoft to solve.

The complete fault lay with Zone-Alarm and other products like it.

They have been the #1 cause of BSODs dating back to the dawn of Vista... and now continue the tradition in Windows 7.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials --> http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

The Internet Security Suites have had > 5 years to solve these issues and have done nothing about it whatsoever.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.