Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New build getting occasional BSOD

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mediv42 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, Ive been getting some bsods, maybe one a day. They happen when i'm not overclocked and when im overclocked, I've played crysis for hours with no problem at 1920X1200, but other times when im just surfing and listening to music, bam: bsod. In fact, two others came with little/no stress on the system, and one came on shutdown.

from what I can tell, (dump files and sysinfo attached) its corrupted memory, but I pass memtest86+ 9+ hours... so it's not corrupted memory:4-dontkno?

Realtemp reports 36C idle, 49C max load and prime95 passes after 9+ hours

Heres my build:
CM 690 case
CM realpower Pro 550W
E8400@3.6 with xigmatek HDT-S1283
4gb gskill 800 5-5-5-15 (2x2) (had errors on memtest at 1.8v, passes at 1.9v, but still getting bsods)
gigabyte EP43-DS3L
sapphire HD 4870 with fanspeed set to 45%, catalyst 8.7
pioneer blu-ray
segate barracuda 750 gig
running vista home premium x64 sp1

So I would suspect the power supply, except the crashes happen when I'm basically doing nothing, not when I'm stressing it. It's about a week old build... so really anyone have some ideas what else I can test to find what might be wrong, or even which part i should RMA? Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Take a look in WERCON - the extract that I see in msinfo32 shows >50 errors in 1 minute on August 2 at 4:45 pm. The entries start on July 31, but I am not sure of the reason for this. One possibility is that so many entries were reported that the older ones rolled off.

START | type wercon.exe | right-click on wercon.exe above | run as admin - what do you see?

jcgriff2

#6 ·
here is a screen of the problem history

on the first page of wercon (check for new solutions) under "information about other problems" it shows

1) problem caused by ati graphics driver (shows no solution available)

2) download updates for openAL installer for windows (link to solution doesnt work)

the one thing that stands out to me is the 50 power settings command line tool problems - i've never run that program (to my knowledge)

Attachments

#7 ·
Oh and i'd assume the reason the entries start on july 31st is that I built the thing on that day.

Would it be worthwile to reformat/install windows? I recall when i installed windows it stopped prematurely, and only restarted when i opened and closed the cd drive - dont know if that could cause something like this.

#8 ·
Hi. . .

I just saw the jpeg and did notice that all the errors in wercon began on July 31 at 06:24 am - and then grew exponentially after that.

I would definitely perform a re-format and re-install of Vista given the time.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#9 ·
Why reload Windows?

Code:
Fire up driver verifier by going start>run>verifier.exe

1. Create Custom Settings
2. Select individual settings from list
3. Check Special Pool, Pool Tracking, Force IRQL Checking
4. Select drivers from a list
5. Click the provider heading to sort
6. Check everything that doesn't have Microsoft as the provider
7. Finish & reboot

Next time the box crashes, upload the dumps (zip c:\windows\minidumps). Driver verifier adds a bunch of checks to help us identify the culprit.

#10 ·
Ive re-formatted and retested the ram

now it appears that one stick consistently fails memtest and the other consistently passes. Ive taken out the defective one for RMA and no bsods so far - looks like that was probably the problem.

Thanks for all the help

#11 ·
Re: [SOLVED] New build getting occasional BSOD

It has become apparent that it wasn't necessarily the ram causing the problem.

bsods are inevitable when I've used sleep mode recently. No sleep mode = no bsods for months. Sleep mode then bsod within a few minutes of resume.

#12 ·
I've attached a recent sysinfo and a minidump intentionally caused by using sleep mode once.

The odd thing is that sleep mode -seems- to work fine. (probably why I didnt identify it earlier) The computer goes to sleep, wakes up, everything seems to be working - but within ~10 mins it bsods.

I've gotten by these past months simply not using sleep mode but I'd like to try actually solving this.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.