Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Multiple BSODs over a couple days

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jared 
#1 ·
Some background on this - had 7 crashes in the past couple days. All 7a's. 3 within the past 12 hours. Two didn't have any file names after the error codes. 5 did. Two were dxgkrnl.sys, one was ks.sys, one was msfs.sys, and another was something with mgr.sys in it. My theory is it has to do with memory or my gfx card because its anytime I load up a game or open chrome (using IE just to be able to post this) that has many tabs saved that will open up when I open it. It seems whenever it's a large load of memory is being used. I'd like to NOT believe my HDD is dying but that is my last theory. :( I am fairly new to this.

· OS - Windows 7 x64
· What was original installed OS on system?
No clue. This computer was given to me as payment for translation services.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
Retail. I installed windows 7 with him using my CD.
· Age of system (hardware)
No clue. I've had this for a year and the laptop itself is refurbished.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?
I've had this OS for a little over a year.

· CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz, 2001Mhz, 2 Core(s)
· Video Card
GeForce 8600M GT
· MotherBoard
Not sure.
· Power Supply - brand & wattage
Not Sure

· System Manufacturer
Dell In.c
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)
Vostro 1500

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Multiple BSODs over a couple days

Hi,

The attached DMP files are of the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a) bug check.

This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6fc4002ede8, ffffffffc000009c, 34cacbe0, fffff88005dbd000}

The 2nd argument is 0xc000009c which is - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR. This essentially implies there's an error with your hard disk.

Run Chkdsk and then Seatools:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be driver related issues that may cause conflicts or a false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS). I always recommend running Seatools in DOS if absolutely possible.

-- Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick

#4 ·

17672 KB in bad sectors.
There is no fixing this amount of bad sectors, unfortunately. Technically you can't 'fix' even one bad sector anyway, and what Chkdsk does it attempts to move the data on a bad sector to a good sector, however your hard disk is in bad shape.

Back up your data and replace it ASAP.

Regards,

Patrick

#5 ·

Thank you so much for your prompt replies Patrick. I appreciate it. This is the second computer HDD that has failed me due to bad sectors... Do you know what I can look for in the future so I can be prepared? My laptop no longer will even start explorer.exe so it's... gone. I really feel like a noob in terms of taking care of my computers. :/ If there is any advice you could give on maintenance and danger signs for a failing HDD, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Melody

#8 ·

Are the drives the same brand?
I've heard Western digital are very reliable although I've never used them, I've only ever had Seagate, I have been told they're becoming more unreliable but I've had no problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.