Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installation Problem

872 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Scire 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I have a strange problem with my computer. Whenever I try to install a game (haven't tried installing other programs besides games recently) the installation crashes. The game usually calls it a "data error." I've copied the contents of the disk onto a folder and tried installing it from there, but with no success. I've also tried using a friend's DVD drive to copy the contents onto my external harddrive, and tried installing from my external harddrive, but that didn't work either. I think that tells me it's not a problem with my dvd drive. It's also not a problem with the disk because the game(s) install successfully on my friend's computer.

Here's where it's interesting. When I get my friend to share their dvd drive on the local network and install the game(s) by putting the disk in their computer and accessing their dvd drive from my computer, the installation works.

What could be causing this? Is there anything else I can do to help you guys diagnose the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it always in the same spot during installation or random?

You can also provide two means of information for us.

The first is to run Process Monitor while the installation is taking place. When the crash occurs, stop the capturing process (the magnifying glass icon) and save the file (make sure "all events" is checked). Compress it cuz it can get big (if it's too big to upload to this site you may want to reduce the time Process Monitor is capturing).

The second is to run Process Explorer while installation is taking place. When the error pops up, save the file from Process Explorer.

Upload both files to us to analyze. If you can also provide the time of the error as specific as you can (like down to the second) that would ease the analysis greatly. Also mention the game name so I can determine what to look for.

#3 ·
Hi VirGnarus,

I accidently posted this same thread in two different forums. If you don't mind, could you go to the other thread? the link is here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/strange-problem-with-installation-553030.html#post3138808

There are some clarifying details. Also, the problem happens at random places, not at the same place. Additionally, it happens for every single game I try to install, not just one game in particular. I'll run process monitor and explorer.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.