Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Installation Hang on Windows 8

This is a discussion on Installation Hang on Windows 8 within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This has happened on my desktop pc before. On my laptop it installed in less than 5 minutes from a

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

This has happened on my desktop pc before. On my laptop it installed in less than 5 minutes from a usb drive. When I installed Windows 7 on my desktop is was painfully slow but ended up installing.

Basic description of the problem:

When I start the Windows installation from a usb (I've also tried a cd), it takes five minutes to get passed the screen which says "Windows" with the background black. After it loads passed that it comes to a green screen which doesn't show any windows or prompts for about 3-5 minutes. When a dialog box finally pops up it will work alright. I go on to select custom and choose the partition I want to install on (trying to dual boot with windows 7) and click next. The first step completes successfully and when it gets to the second part where it prepares the files for install it gets stuck on 8% and finally errors. This process to get to 8% is also very slow.

Steps I've done:

1. I've confirmed the SHA1 hashes of my download with that of the website - they match.

2. I've tried burning 2 cd's with two different downloads. I've also tried using a USB installation with the confirmed download.

Here's my system specifications:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21 GHz
RAM: 8GB
500GB WD SATA hard drive @ 7200 RPM. (recently replaced because old hard drives failed)

If you need anything else please let me know or if you can help. It would be greatly appreciated, this problem is driving me insane!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

What version of win 8? On DP and RC there is a known issue with some legacy BIOS.

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2015
MCC 2013-2015
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
What version of win 8? On DP and RC there is a known issue with some legacy BIOS.
Thank you for the response..

Sorry, kind of dumb..

I don't know what DP and RC are? How do I know which version this is too?

I successfully installed the same version on my laptop and in the corner of the desktop it says Build 8400 - Release Preview. Is that the issue?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

I downloaded it from Windows 8 Release Preview.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to zigzag3143

Sorry about the tech speak. DP=Developer Preview (released in 2.2012) and release candidate was just recently released.

You can find out witch by typing winver in an elevated command prompt.

Release candidate is version 8250 I think.

Team ZigZag3143
MS-MVP Consumer Expert 2010-2015
MCC 2013-2015
Wanikiya & Dyami

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Here's what I get: