Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Computer keeps shutting down, no reason

This is a discussion on Computer keeps shutting down, no reason within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm new to this site and have a nagging problem. I'm getting into computer repair for friend's computers and

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I'm new to this site and have a nagging problem. I'm getting into computer repair for friend's computers and have had success until now. I'm working on a 3 year old Gateway GT5656 running Windows Vista and it shuts down for no reason. Sometimes I can get it to boot up and run for a while before it shuts down. Sometimes, I cant even get to the boot screen. I have checked the power supply and its fine. I was able to reinstall Vista OS and it still shuts down. I replaced the memory and that wasnt the problem.
I'm stuck here. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know Gateway isn't a great brand, but I'd like to exhaust all avenues before I junk this desktop.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

I had the same problem with 7 and it was the drivers that was causing it. So I freshly formated the HDD with the OS and then made sure that I got the right drivers for the OS and the problem went away. So I would suggest that either you reformat or check the gateway's site for the right drivers for your OS and install them.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Make sure the computer is not overheating, check the processor and video card (if it has one) temps, cpu should not be near 60C or over, 80C for the vga. If there is dust in the computer this could be part of the problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Thats a first thing BOB should have suggested it.
There are free software out there that can monitor and show you the temp
Memory Test
Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

I had that problem. My pc was sill under warranty. It was under Vista. A tech came out and replaced the mother board and it still didn't work. He then checked everything and couldn't figure it out. The Os was reloaded several times from recovery disks and from recovery patition, but that didn't fix it. Checked the ram and it was fine. All the fans were turning. Then I sent it to the manufacterer, and they replaced the power supply. That didn't work. I sent it back to them and they replaced the power supply again. It didn't work.

After three repairs and countless hours on the phone trying the same things over and over, they gave up and they replaced my pc. It was down for six weeks. Fortunatly I had my old pc and a laptop as backups. I don't know if they ever checked the temp when I sent it in.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

If you are unsure how to get a temperature reading from your BIOS you can try to download Core Temp which is a simple CPU temperature monitoring program.
Here is a link:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Have you by chance added any components to the desktop at all such as a video card, or anything internal?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Try this and see if you get an BSOD-
1.Right click on my Computer and select properties.
2.Go to the system restore tab and and deselect it.
This actually may be a problem with your hardware or probably with your CPU temperature
Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Try this and see if you get an BSOD-
1.Right click on my Computer and select properties.
2.Go to the system restore tab and and deselect it.
This actually may be a problem with your hardware or probably with your CPU temperature
Not sure how that would help... Also getting to system restore is a little different from XP to Vista.