Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer completely locks up (freezes)

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 ·
My computer keeps freezing at random times. This freeze lasts until I reboot my computer. I've reinstalled all my drivers, except my motherboard or BIOS as I couldn't find them (here). This freezing has been happening for a good month and a half. Actually, ever since I've installed multiple new parts. The new parts I installed were a new FX-6300, motherboard, 8GB DRR3 RAM. My graphics card is a old HD 4000 series. I had a 600w power supply, but it blew so now I'm using a 450w power supply until I have the money to order a new one.

I was thinking it was the power supply causing the freezes because it might not have enough power to handle my computer. People also have suggested it being the RAM or the Hard Drive. Others have suggested it being Windows or the drivers. I don't think it's the drivers (I wish it was). I am going to reinstall Windows and hopefully that will fix it. I can't do that right now though because I do not have a USB or disc to do so. I'm completely lost on this.

When I say my computer 'randomly' freezes though, I want to emphasize the word randomly. Sometimes I'll have a video game open, Adobe Illustrator open, a Twitch stream running, with VLC media player playing music and a couple browser tabs open, while talking in RaidCall and it'll be fine for hours on end. Then the next time it freezes, I'll reboot and right after I hit my desktop, it'll freeze a couple seconds after that. Sometimes it'll do this for 5 times under a hour, maybe even half hour. Sometimes it will freeze will all kinds of programs open and sometimes it'll freeze with merely YouTube open or as I said before, sometimes it'll freeze without anything open right after I've booted my computer up.

I've also noticed, I'll be able to move my mouse around prior 10 seconds before it freezes. Though, in this ten seconds of mouse moving, I am not able to click, hover or anything with the mouse. Only able to move it.

I'm completely lost on what this could be. Please, someone help me.

Here is my specs:

Motherboard - ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Processor - AMD FX 6300 Six-core 3.5GHz

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4 | 8GB

GPU - ATI Radeon HD 4650

OS - Windows 7 Pro x64

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a Custom-built system then. Sounds like your Power Supply is undersized for a custom-build Six-Core in my opinion. What Brand and Model is your Supply? Also, what Make/Model is your hard drive. That's the most common cause of freezing. Download Seatools or Datalifeguard from my signature and test. Also, download and Run Memtest. Corsair RAM is good; make sure to run it for at least 24 hrs. continously with no external usb devices other than usb keyboard or mouse plugged into computer.

You're troubleshooting leaves a little room to improve--so post back your results of those tests and we'll advise you further. This problem is more endemic of OEM (brand-name) built desktops and laptops after they get to be about 3 yrs. old or more.

BIGBEARJEDI

#4 ·
My powersupply is a CX 600w. I did tests on my two RAM tests the other week, they ended up being bad. So I sent them in and had them replaced. Once I got my replacements I put them in and the problem still continues. Is there anyway of telling if my mobo or cpu is bad? It's not my GPU or Hard Drives because they work perfectly with my old parts.

#3 ·
We could do with a look at your Event logs for errors. In Start menu, search for Event Viewer and open it.

Expand the Windows Logs section in the left panel and click on System. In the right panel click on Filter Current Log. In the filter dialog that opens, select Last 24 hours, check levels Critical, Warning and Error then click OK. If freezing did not occur within last 24 hours, select a greater range such as Last 7 Days. The current log will be filtered. Save the filtered log as a csv (comma separated) text file by clicking the Save Filtered Log File As... option in the right panel. Give it name "System" and make sure to select the CSV option for the Save as type drop down box.

Repeat the same for the Application section so that you have two filtered logs saved as System.csv and Application.csv. Zip the two files in a zipped folder named "Logs" and attach it in your next reply so we can have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.