Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Complete lock-ups every time PC is turned on

999 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ispalten 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Since I got my current PC I've had an issue where it would occassionally completely lock-up, i.e. completely still image on screen, mouse wouldn't move, and it also put out a buzzing sound through the speakers/headphones. The only option was to force shutdown and start it up again. But it didn't happen that often so I wasn't bothered by it much.

However since updating to Windows 8 it is now happening about 15 minutes into use every time I turn the PC on (but after rebooting doesn't happen again until the next time I turn it on), so I'm looking for a solution now.

Has anyone seen something like this, or got any advise?

Thanks.

#2 ·
WOW!! Exactly what I'm seeing!!!

Usually occurs within 15 minutes of booting. Once a day only. I've had the computer off over 8 hours one day and when turned on it didn't happen... only the FIRST boot of the day. Works fine on any reboots after?

I have gotten random different BSOD's too.

I've also had days at a time when this didn't happen? I did nothing at all to change anything either. Then it starts happening again?

Things I have tried though:

• Removed ANY unnecessary programs I had. This computer started with Vista, upgraded to W7, then W8 (when it started happening) and now W8.1, so I did collect a lot of 'junk'.
  • Stopped AutoStarting anything I didn't really need or could manually start later.
  • Changed Video card as old ATI was not support in any way but Legacy (i.e., no new drivers) with a newer ATI card that was supported.
  • Suspecting a hard drive C: error, I replaced my SSD with another one that had failed before (when on W8) and was returned to vendor and replaced. Problem continued, not the disk.
  • Discovered a 'sort' of possible bug in Windows not creating a dump. Turns out my 'system' setting for the swapfile was too small and I moved it to another hard drive. Reset it to the C: drive and set the initial swap size to more than my 8GB's of RAM. Today I got a BSOD with an SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (CI.DLL), but I think this is bogus and the first time I've seen this one.
All indications it is a S/W driver, but which one, and one that only runs ONCE A DAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.