Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

BSOD with Intel SRT

This is a discussion on BSOD with Intel SRT within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ever since I enabled Intel SRT (SSD caching), I have been getting blue screens in ntoskrnl and ntfs. When the system reboots, my SSD cache is still there but iaStor (the mgmt console) says that the platter it was caching for is missing (which is impossible since that platter houses my OS). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· OS - Win7
· x64
· What was original installed OS on system: Win7 x64
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?: Full Retail
· Age of system (hardware): 7 mos
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Yes, in September I reinstalled and moved my drives to RAID 0 to support Intel SRT

· CPU - Intel 2600K
· Video Card - GTX 460Ti
· MotherBoard - Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
· Power Supply - OCX 600W

· System Manufacturer: Me
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (1.97 MB, 3 views)

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

I have been reading up on rather similar if not identical situations to yours and those that discovered the resolution found that you have to enable SRT before you install the OS on the drive.

Here's an example thread: link

This seems rather similar to what you described here .

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

verifier caused another bsod just now... attached is the raw dmp. Looks like afd.sys is blamed, but that doesn't mean much to me...
Attached Files
File Type: zip 021012-23977-01.zip (19.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

regarding installing the os before srt, this is somewhat true. The key is putting your mb into Extreme HD mode before installing the OS, as this takes the drives from IDE mode to RAID0, which basically removes all data from the drive, as I understand it. SRT itself, however, is a .sys, and therefore cannot be installed before installing windows, unless I am missing something... this last BSOD with verifier that I posted occured while acceleration was disabled. The RAID BIOS screen actually didn't come up at all at boot time and iaStor.exe didn't see the SSD at all... very strange. On reboot, the SSD is back, and RAID BIOS executed normally.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

regarding installing the os before srt, this is somewhat true. The key is putting your mb into Extreme HD mode before installing the OS, as this takes the drives from IDE mode to RAID0, which basically removes all data from the drive, as I understand it. SRT itself, however, is a .sys, and therefore cannot be installed before installing windows, unless I am missing something... this last BSOD with verifier that I posted occured while acceleration was disabled. The RAID BIOS screen actually didn't come up at all at boot time and iaStor.exe didn't see the SSD at all... very strange. On reboot, the SSD is back, and RAID BIOS executed normally.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

DV was not responsible for the crash in this case. Rather, code corruption in memory was the culprit. The pattern (a large stride of zeroed bits) looks very much like a RAM issue, but we'll have to make sure with testing.

If you wish, you can perform Memtest86+ for 7+ passes on your memory.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ran Memtest86+ two weeks ago. Seven passes overnight, each with 11 full write full read tests, meaning each bit was written to and read at least 77 times. It found no errors. Sorry I didn't include that detail earlier...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hmm, in that case there's most likely some condition that has to be met for it to cause the memory failure. It may be voltage problems or overheating.

The first thing you should do is if your system is overclocked in any way, you'll want to reset it back to factory defaults and verify if that is the issue. Otherwise, you may want to provide us a HWInfo report. Run HWInfo with Sensors only option checked. Log two 30-minute instances: one for idle, and one for high load.

Software can still be the culprit as some software may inadvertently access wrong memory which it thinks is a bunch of bit flags and set them accordingly. However that's very seldom and this pattern shows that least likely.

There may be drivers for Windows that are for your SRT, but SRT itself is on the driver firmware and is interfaced through the BIOS/UEFI and finally through Windows. Have you confirmed that you are using the latest firmware for your SSD and latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

I ran memtest86+ again last night just to be sure. It ran 16 passes without a single error. I didn't realize that SSD's had updatable firmare, so no, they are probably not up to date. Do platter drives have drivers too? I don't recall ever updating any hard drive firmware as long as I have been using computers...

I did notice on the last blue screen that I posted that when I rebooted, RAID BIOS didn't run, and Windows couldn't see the SSD either from Disk Manager or from iaStor. Could this be a motherboard problem that skips Raid BIOS, or is my SSD perhaps intermittently stopping? Or is this nothing to worry about?

I am running HWInfo right now, and I should be able to post idle tonight, and hopefully load in the morning. I am also looking into flashing my Agility 3 SSD to firmware 2.15. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

Here is my idle hwinfo csv (changed to txt for upload).
Attached Files
File Type: txt idle.txt (463.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

SSDs are not HDDs. HDDs are rather simplistic in design with very simple controller cards placed on them to operate the mechanics, as well as a couple other things such as drive cache. It was quite rare that a firmware update was needed for a HDD, though they were more prominent and needed in enterprise environments that incorporate a lot of extra features on their drives.

SSDs, on the other hand, utilize a lot of new (and often proprietary) methods for data gathering and retrieval on a type of storage that is relatively new as well. As a result, they aren't all that well tested and consumers end up suffering by unstable drives. We here at TSF have noticed a lot of people suffering from their SSD drives that was merely a firmware update away from resolution. I'd advice doing the same and updating SSD firmware and drivers, as well as motherboard chipset and BIOS.

Go ahead and send a high load report from HWInfo as well. If you want to make it csv, just slap it in a zip file.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Here is my high load HWInfo CSV. The load was MW3, which is about the heaviest thing I do other than compiling Chromium, which I am too lazy to attempt right now. Let me know if you need a heavier load on it. Thanks again.

BTW, where would I go to learn how to read these files and diagnose problems like you do...
Attached Files
File Type: zip load.zip (137.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #13
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

The logs from HWInfo just shows voltages, temps, fan speeds and load percentages. To get a good idea on what to look for is to understand what's safe voltage levels and temperatures, as well as checking fan speeds to ensure your fans are running optimally if you find temperatures are becoming problematic. I personally am not a hardware tech, but from what I've picked up generally you want to look for a +/- 5% skew on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails. If you start seeing voltages getting close or over such thresholds, you can expect the PSU having difficulties.

As for what I see from these, I don't see any problems that pop out. Your 3.3v rail is leaning a little too close to +5% skew, but I'm not seeing problems manifesting in the other rails (3.3V rail is used just for fans and other misc. motherboard stuff). I do notice your SSD drive is reporting a consistent temp of 128 degrees Celcius, but it's evident that's that HWInfo is not reading the temp sensor on it properly. However there's a possibility the temp sensor on the SSD drive itself is bad, in which case often if that has gone bad, then it's conducive of the rest of the hardware (the drive) going kaput.

Have you performed any of the recommended tasks aforementioned (update drive firmware/drivers, update motherboard BIOS/drivers)?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have updated my SSD firmware and motherboard BIOS. I don't see any SSD drivers available at OCZ. I am also not sure which motherboard drivers to update... the NIC and sound drivers are fresh, and the video is run through an expansion card, whose drivers are also fresh.

I haven't had any BSOD's since I flashed the SSD about a week ago, but it has gone up to three weeks with no symptoms before so it is too early to declare victory. I will keep it running and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

The motherboard drivers is basically just the chipset drivers which includes an entire package of drivers (audio, drive controller, etc.) that covers the northbridge/southbridge of the motherboard. Unless they decide to split anything off into its own separate driver(s), everything should be bundled up in the same chipset package, including the drive controller drivers which is what we're most concerned about.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Registered Member

I went ahead and pulled everything but the SRT drivers from the Gigabyte site and ran them. I haven't seen any bsod since updating the firmware, though, so I am ready to tentatively call this a firmware bug...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

We'll see if this continues. Usually - depending on the previous frequency of the BSODs - 2 weeks is a good buffer to declare this solved or not. When you feel comfortable that everything is ok, you can mark this thread as solved so we can use it for future reference. Thanks!