Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsod While running flash video

2K views 22 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 · (Edited)
So i have been getting a blue screen of death every time i watch any flash videos. I have all of my drivers updated and im pretty sure its not a heating issue because i can play battlefield 3 for hours but a flash video will crash my computer in less than 5 minutes.
Just re-installed os and everything so it hasent happened again yet, but i know it will. so i will post the error code, and ect. later. Im also avoiding downloading microsoft's updates to see if it makes a difference.
Note: I have a feeling it is something to do with the video drivers regardless of the fact that i have re-installed them multiple times.
my system specs are:
AMD fx 6300 six-core 3.5ghz
8gb corsair ram
AMD radeon HD 6900
asus crosshair v formula motherboard
corsair nutron ssd 120 gb (os)
1 tb hard drive for media
windows 7 64 bit

#5 ·
Well it happened again, was watching a flash video, 20 mins long.

070113-15506-01.dmp 7/1/2013 10:45:24 PM 0x00000101 00000000`00000021 00000000`00000000 fffff880`02f65180 00000000`00000002 dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+8077 DirectX Graphics MMS Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75c00 C:\Windows\Minidump\070113-15506-01.dmp 6 15 7601 276,040 7/1/2013 10:46:46 PM

#7 ·
Hi,

The attached dump is a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101), and unfortunately with a minidump, there is relatively nothing we can extract from this. If you could enable Driver Verifier, that would help a lot to determine whether we're dealing with a driver issue here:

Driver Verifier:
What is Driver Verifier?
Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.
Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.
Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
How to enable Driver Verifier:
Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -
1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.
Important information regarding Driver Verifier:
- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.
- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:
- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:
- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
- Restart and boot into normal Windows.
How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?
It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.
My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?
They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump
Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick

#12 ·
Did it generate a dump?

It could be. I don't know yet. I recommend however for the time being uninstalling your video card drivers and updating to the latest drivers. If you're already on the latest, uninstall and install a previous version or so to ensure it's not an issue with the latest version.

Regards,

Patrick

#15 ·
Ah, it does sound like we're experiencing quite the driver issue here, or at least that's how it appears right now. AMD driver issues are such a pain..

Before installing the previous driver, did you use the 'uninstall' prompt after extracting the AMD installer? For example, when you run the AMD driver exe you download, it self-extracts and then asks you if you'd like to install / uninstall. If you didn't, I recommend 'uninstalling' first, restarting, and then running the exe again and installing, and then restarting.

Regards,

Patrick

#20 ·
Understood.

Let's get a Memtest going here now:

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:
http://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Regards,

Patrick

#23 ·
Beautiful, that's what I like to hear : )

Yeah, sometimes in the world of video card drivers, the 'latest version' at the time can cause issues, especially since there are so many things that can go wrong during the installation, and because a video card itself is such a fantastic piece of hardware. It's essentially a computer itself, there are so many things it has to do, and if there is ANYTHING wrong between the communication of the OS and the video card, no-go.

Be careful with the beta drivers, although I am glad to hear everything's okay for now.

Let me know if things happen to take a turn for the worst.

Regards,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.