Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD - New build.

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 ·
Yesterday I powered on my new system. Most of the parts are new, but I re-used the tower and video card from my old system. After an hour of playing either Skyrim, or World of Warcraft, my computer blue screens with different reasons the few times it has happened.

Once was "irql_not_less_or_equal" and another was Kernal-Power 41.

-

The OS is an OEM version that came with my computer. I got the original many years ago from iBuyPower.

The tower and video card (Radeon HD 5450) are a few years old. I can't give an exact age, but I've had the PC for 2-3 years.

The OS was freshly installed on my new build Sunday morning.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
Video Card: Radeon HD5450
Motherboard: Asus B85M
Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700W

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

We have a few different bugchecks attached here:

BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)

Usual cause is a device driver has a bug.

This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.

Your *19 appears to be faulting iusb3xhc.sys which is the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver. Ensure this driver is up to date via - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

scmndisp fffff880`01836000 fffff880`01840000 Wed Jan 17 02:48:03 2007 (45add4b3) 00008b81 scmndisp.sys
^^ Netgear Neutral Wireless Solution dated from 2007. See if an update is available - http://kb.netgear.com/app/

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

A kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL (Interrupt Request Level) that was too high.

Usual causes are a device driver has a bug and attempted to access invalid memory, the pagefile has been corrupted or there is a memory problem.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)

An exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

This bugcheck is generally related to a video driver issue.

Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you've already tried the latest version as well as many possible previous versions, you can try a beta driver if available.

If the above do not help, enable Driver Verifier to see if we can catch any possible device driver conflicts:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - Restore Point - Create in Windows 8

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・ Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump

Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Regards,

Patrick

#3 ·
I don't see an option to edit the thread, so sorry for bumping it, but I found a few culprits for the crashing.

-

On Mon 8/12/2013 7:46:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081213-21496-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C00)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x79, 0x2, 0x8, 0x79)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

On Mon 8/12/2013 7:46:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x79, 0x2, 0x8, 0x79)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 8/12/2013 4:49:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081213-42416-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0xCBABB)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF9600019BABB, 0xFFFFF8800822DF50, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver

-

What should I do about these? Hopefully these help figure out what's wrong.

#5 ·
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver is up to date. The Intel site and Device Manager both show it up to date.

Graphics Driver
Product Detected AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Current Driver Installed 12.104.0.0
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected
Current Version Installed 9.4.0.1016
This version is valid.
Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board
Product Detected AMD High Definition Audio Device
Current Driver Installed 7.12.0.7714
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>
Wireless Networking (WiFi)
Product Detected Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Current Driver Installed 7.67.1226.2012
Wired Networking
Product Detected Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Current Driver Installed 7.67.1226.2012

Netgear is up to date now. I must have missed it, but it found the current driver, so thank you!

Running Driver Verifier and my computer booted up just fine after checking all the drivers that weren't Microsoft.

Where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.