Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSoD in search of Tech

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  tarodar 
#1 ·
My computer has been suffering frequent BSoDs, at first I thought it was the video card since it usually seemed to happen when I was watching internet video (netflix, youtube, ect.) or playing games. It really doesn't like the combination of the two, say a video in the steam browser. But anyways I really don't know and they are getting more frequent. It seemed like they were happening after the computer had been on for multiple hours but today I had one first thing in the morning.

I got the computer February; I bought it factory refurbished on Ebay. Here is the cnet review. Since the BSoD started I bought a new hard drive (wanted a new one anyways) and did a fresh install, though I still have windows installed (I upgraded to 7 HP) on the other drive and can boot from it.

I included two system information reports in the zip. I first one is a .txt that was made with Glary Utilities... I also included some screenshots of the error messages that I got when I tried to generate the report :confused:
When I click on the Memory tab it brings up an error message "Percent Error 0.00". The report just stops midway and I added the error report that popped up when I closed the program and it decided to crash at the end (in the .txt) The html was generated with Iobit Advanced SystemCare, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that SystemCare's memory activeboost was the reason that Glary had problems. Oh also I don't know why the System Health Report says I have no anti-virus, I have Avast installed and the security center says so too :huh:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

*Dont forget to upload any further DMP files (especially those when verifier is running)

*If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!! If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

*Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

*Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

*But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.

*Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

*I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.

*Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

*In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
*Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

*Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.

*Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

*If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
*If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

*Further Reading
"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617"

Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

#3 ·
Memtest failed to find any problems in the 5 passes I ran it (I actually did about 4 more based on the time it was running but I accidentally exited the program before I saw any of the results, does it save a report somewhere?) I also moved the ram around (excluding one pair and getting a BSoD with just those, repeated with other pair and then started over with the other set of sockets I still got BSoD with all combos).

I then tried verifier. I could not get into windows without safe-mode. The BSoD were really brief, is there any dump file from them? (I actually ran verifier before posting with these instructions from the BSoD posting guide, it didn't have me check as many boxes so obviously one of those selections prevented me from running windows. I was actually running verifier for some of the dumps in the first batch).

Thank you for any help you have or will provide me.

Attachments

#4 ·
The most recent crashes do not appear to have verifier enabled. Either it was not or the drivers being verified were not the cause.

You have multiple (more than 8) probably causes. Three crashes were related to your Avast, 5 to your video driver, etc

In cases like this it is almost always either malware, or a piece of hardware.

I would run malwarebytes, and stress tests.

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
Update it immediately.
Do a full system scan
Let us know the results at the end.

Malwarebytes : Download free malware, virus and spyware tools to get your computer back in shape!

FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 105ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
CPU Stress Tests:
- http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19182&lang=eng
- 7Byte : Hot CPU Tester Pro
- 7Byte : BurnIn64
- CPU Stress test - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
- Fossil Free Online CPU Load or Stress Test.
- CPU Stability Test description, System Resources Tune-Up. Downloads List By All Time Popularity | PCWorld | PCWorld
- CPU Stability Test 6.0 Download
- LinX - A simple Linpack interface

#5 ·
The most recent crashes do not appear to have verifier enabled. Either it was not or the drivers being verified were not the cause. You have multiple (more than 8) probably causes. Three crashes were related to your Avast, 5 to your video driver, etc

In cases like this it is almost always either malware, or a piece of hardware.
The crashes that would have verifier running would be in the middle of the first batch. Applying the settings you gave me would not let me get into windows so I shut it down in safe mode. I am re-enabling verifier under the previous settings.

I would run malwarebytes, and stress tests.

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
Update it immediately.
Do a full system scan
Let us know the results at the end.

Malwarebytes : Download free malware, virus and spyware tools to get your computer back in shape!
I already have malwarebytes installed, ran a full scan after reinstalling windows, running a full scan right now. I also have Spybot-SD, I have run that more recently (less than a week), no real threats detected (earlier test malwarebytes still running).

FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
This line confused me

FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 105ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
I googled Furmark and downloaded a program by the same name (FurMark GPU Stress Test OpenGL Benchmark v1.10.1), having problems matching your instructions to the program. Can't see a run mode box, stability test or Log Gpu temperature. Did find how to set the alarm to 90ºC under settings.

CPU Stress Tests:
- http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19182&lang=eng
- 7Byte : Hot CPU Tester Pro
- 7Byte : BurnIn64
- Fossil Free Online CPU Load or Stress Test.
- CPU Stability Test description, System Resources Tune-Up. Downloads List By All Time Popularity | PCWorld | PCWorld
- CPU Stability Test 6.0 Download
- LinX - A simple Linpack interface
This link did not work for me.

#7 ·
I found Hot Cpu Tester Pro, I ran the diagnostic and it came back with no errors (.txt attached). I guess Fossil Free Online is a browser based test, I also found and downloaded CPU Stability Test 6.0 and LinX (guess I'll try them) but I am having trouble figuring out what the others are.

Also I tried to run Verifier with the posting guidlines and I still crashed before loading into windows. The first time I set up verifier I think I missed the last check box (Miscellaneous Checks) and that is the option that is causing the pre-windows crash.

Attachments

#8 ·
I ran CPU Stability Test 6.0 (normal) through the night. When checked on it today the program had crashed, I could see that it ran for over 10h. I was going to take a screenshot and upload it, but my computer BSoD when I tried to paste it in paint.

Should I be running these tests is safe mode so I can have verifier enabled? I was thinking that it wouldn't load the problem drivers so the info would be useless but I guess I will try until someone tells me I am wasting my time.

#9 ·
I ran LinX 0.6.4 and encountered an error on the second test, attached a screenshot, had trouble attaching .txt so I will just post the text here.

Intel(R) LINPACK 64-bit data - LinX 0.6.4

Current date/time: Sun Sep 09 14:41:33 2012

CPU frequency: 3.191 GHz
Number of CPUs: 4
Number of threads: 4

Parameters are set to:

Number of tests : 1
Number of equations to solve (problem size) : 10000
Leading dimension of array : 10008
Number of trials to run : 20
Data alignment value (in Kbytes) : 4

Maximum memory requested that can be used = 800844256, at the size = 10000

============= Timing linear equation system solver =================

Size LDA Align. Time(s) GFlops Residual Residual(norm)
10000 10008 4 16.378 40.7176 9.637818e-011 3.398392e-002
10000 10008 4 16.393 40.6806 1.831125e-009 6.456733e-001

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.