Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

BSOD dirver irql not less or equal

This is a discussion on BSOD dirver irql not less or equal within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey. I've had a Toshiba Satellite L750-20D for a week or so. From the very first day I've had an

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey. I've had a Toshiba Satellite L750-20D for a week or so. From the very first day I've had an occurrence of a BSOD, followed by a restart. Since then there has been at least one per day. Here are the details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 12297

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000018
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF88004259D16
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\072312-16801-01.dmp
C:\Users\gandacel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-98842-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

And a link to the .dmp file:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=837F205EED4D306E&id=837F205EED4D306E!103

The blue screen states DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
My OS is Windows 7 64bit.
I'd really appreciate some help.
Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Johnny Ripper and welcome to TSF!

The attached dump is a D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck pointing to the culprit athrx.sys which is the Atheros network adapter driver. Update that driver if available here:

ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros?????)

Service Pack 1 is not installed, install that asap:

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Driver(s) in need of update:

TVALZ_O.SYS - Thu Nov 08 22:08:41 2007 (TOSHIBA ACPI-Based Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device Driver). Update if available here.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
I was really lost.

I installed the SP and updated the Toshiba driver. I downloaded the Atheros one from their site, but I had no idea what to do with a zip full of .sys, .cat and .inf files. I downloaded the Atheros network driver from the toshiba site and it's the one I already have. Should I do something else?

And is there a way to see if the problem is solved, or I should simply wait and hope?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

For installing the atheros drivers manually, see You cannot install a device driver by using its installation program in Windows Vista and scroll down to
Quote:
To locate the .inf file and manually install the driver
Even though the support article relates to Vista, the same steps apply for Windows 7.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

I did that too. Thanks.
Thanks a lot for your help, guys. I hope it's going to be ok.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I updated both drivers (though the network one was, supposedly, up to date) and I've installed the SP, but ten minutes ago the laptop restarted, I didn't see the bluescreen, if there was one, because I wasn't near and there also wasn't any error message... What's wrong?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi -

See if Driver Verifier flags any 3rd party drivers -

Driver Verifier - Windows 7 & Vista (BSOD-related)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Without the crash reports, we would be providing only guesses and assumptions. Please follow the http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html to provide us with the full reports.

Also, please do as jcgriff2 asks since those steps will help us determine if you have any driver issues.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hello

I've followed the steps in the BSOD posting instructions and I've attached the results.
Also, I've run the driver verifier, but I don't know if I did very well. The system BSOD-ed during the reboot, right after I logged in, but I don't have any dump file in the Minidump folder. Actually, I don't have any dump file from the crashes after I've installed SP1 (there has been one more after my last post). The driver mentioned in the BSOD was the one Patrick talked about, athrx.sys, if that's relevant.

I really appreciate your help and your patience with my lack of knowledge and experience. I hope you'll guide me to sorting it out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD&PERFMON.zip (989.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

The latest attached dump is a D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL that is again pointing to athrx.sys. Also, the dump is not verifier enabled, was verifier enabled after the latest 7/25 dump file that you've attached in post #9?

If the system is BSOD'ing right after reboot with verifier enabled, it's likely flagging a driver right on start-up. When you did have verifier enabled, when it crashed, you saw the driver culprit as athrx.sys again you said?

If so, here's an article worth checking out right here on TSF:

Atheros AR5007EG & AR5007 Problems | Tech Support Forum

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Well, I think it's my fault that it wasn't solved by now. After Patrick first told me what to do, I updated only the cable network adapter (I don't know how to call it), not the wireless one... I did that now and I ran the driver verifier again and the system didn't crash. Actually, nothing happened. It just restarted normally.

It should be done now, right? Please :)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Excellent work! If Driver Verifier is no longer forcing a crash, your issue is more than likely solved :)

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

Ok. Thanks all of you guys for your help and patience. I can finally enjoy my new laptop! :)
Closed Thread