· Windows 7
· 64 bit
· Windows 7· Not preinstalled
· 2 year old system
· OS installed 6 months ago?

· Intel Core i5-2500k CPu @3.30ghz
· Gigabyte Geforce GTX570
· Asus P8 P67-m Pro
· Not sure of PSU but its definately got enough wattage for my system.

My dota 2 kept crashing at the same spot of a new game before so i decided to clean out my video card's fan because i figured it was overheated and i never got BSOD when im not playing DOTA . I literally pulled only my video card out and cleaned out the fan thats all i did.

When i turned the computer back on i got the following BSOD every time i got to the windows screen.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8009752010
BCP2: FFFFF88004972E30
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

After that i read it could be a driver problem so i updated the drivers to the latest NVIDIA ones and then i got this BSOD every single time i got to the windows screen.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c4
BCP1: 0000000000000091
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: FFFFF80003400C40
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071213-33945-01.dmp
C:\Users\Adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-61167-0.sysdata.xml

This one is the nvlddmkm.sys problem and i tried everything possible i could find on the internet to fix it but none worked.

Since i got to this point i have only been able to boot in safe mode or in last known config with the driver for the video card set to standard VGA adaptor.

I have tried everything since then from driver cleaners to pulling memory around into different slots, pulling one stick out, reseating the VGA card to another slot. I have also formatted my HDD and pulled out all over HDD's and only had a single clean fresh HDD with nothing on it and reinstalled windows only and as soon as i update the graphics driver i get a BSOD either one of these above depending on which drivers i used. I have tried over 10+ different versions of drivers and no matter what i do i get some sort of BSOD. I also tried to install the drivers from the CD that came with the graphics card but instead of a BSOD it just freezes with a black screen at the windows login screen.
I then tried to install Windows XP and when i get to the setup i get the BSOD STOP x07b (even though the only things connected to my computer is 1 hdd and 1 stick of ram and a dvd drive).

I dont have access to any other hardware atm (no other graphics cards or PSU) so i cant test anything but im pretty sure the video card has either burnt out or when i touched it to clean it i knocked something? All the PCI-E slots ive tried all look fine to me as well.

By only having access to safe mode is there anyway i can check to see if the video card is gone? Would really like to check before i set out to spend another $200 on a new one. Sorry if you need more info but this has done my head in for the last 2 days :|

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: BSOD BSOD Everywhere. Geforce GTX570

Hi,

I am at class right now, however, I see above the bugcheck you posted was 116.

The basic definition of a 0x116 bugcheck is:

There may be a bug in the video driver or video hardware.
So, let me now explain what VIDEO_TDR_ERROR means. First off, TDR is an acronym for Timeout Detection and Recovery. Timeout Detection and Recovery was introduced in Vista and carried over to Windows 7. Rather than putting exactly what Timeout Detection and Recovery does exactly, I'll just directly quote the MSDN article!
Timeout detection:
The GPU scheduler, which is part of the DirectX graphics kernel subsystem (Dxgkrnl.sys), detects that the GPU is taking more than the permitted amount of time to execute a particular task. The GPU scheduler then tries to preempt this particular task. The preempt operation has a "wait" timeout, which is the actual TDR timeout. This step is thus the timeout detection phase of the process. The default timeout period in Windows Vista and later operating systems is 2 seconds. If the GPU cannot complete or preempt the current task within the TDR timeout period, the operating system diagnoses that the GPU is frozen.
To prevent timeout detection from occurring, hardware vendors should ensure that graphics operations (that is, DMA buffer completion) take no more than 2 seconds in end-user scenarios such as productivity and game play.
Preparation for recovery:
The operating system's GPU scheduler calls the display miniport driver's DxgkDdiResetFromTimeout function to inform the driver that the operating system detected a timeout. The driver must then reinitialize itself and reset the GPU. In addition, the driver must stop accessing memory and should not access hardware. The operating system and the driver collect hardware and other state information that could be useful for post-mortem diagnosis.
Desktop recovery:
The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The video memory manager, which is also part of Dxgkrnl.sys, purges all allocations from video memory. The display miniport driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As previously mentioned, some legacy DirectX applications might render just black at the end of this recovery, which requires the end user to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 and later applications that handle Device Remove technology continue to work correctly. An application must release and then recreate its Direct3D device and all of the device's objects. For more information about how DirectX applications recover, see the Windows SDK.
With this being said, if Timeout Detection and Recovery fails to recover the display driver, it will then shoot the 0x116 bugcheck. There are many different things that can cause a 0x116, which I will explain below:

The following hardware issues can cause a TDR event:

1. Unstable overclock (CPU, GPU, etc). Revert all and any overclocks to stock settings.

2. Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between the GPU and the system (video memory otherwise known as VRAM or physical memory otherwise known as RAM).

GPU testing: Furmark

RAM testing: Memtest86+

3. Corrupt hard drive or Windows install / OS install resulting in corruption to the registry or page file.

HDD diagnostics: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

To reset your page file, follow the instructions below:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.

b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.

c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)

d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step

b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.

e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

Run System File Checker:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"

In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

- Overheating of the CPU or GPU and or other components can cause 0x116 bugchecks. Monitor your temperatures and ensure the system is cooled adequately.

- GPU failure. Whether it's heat, power issue (PSU issue), failing VRAM, etc.
The following software issues can cause a TDR event:

-Incompatible drivers of any sort (either GPU, sound, etc)

-Messy / corrupt registry

-Bad direct x files (uninstall, then reinstall DirectX)

-bad system files (System File Checker - was run above)

-Bad driver (some drivers will cause an event due to internal bugs, however these are not nearly as common as many think due to all of the previous things causing the same symptom) - (remove all 3rd party programs and check to be sure drivers aren't loading. Then install only the necessary 3rd party stuff, and ensure it's the latest version).
Regards,

Patrick

#4 ·

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your help.

Cant do furmark in Safe mode
Will do memtest in a sec
Checked the pagefile that was all good
Cant be anything to do with software as i only have windows installed atm no other drivers except video drivers

System Scan gave the following

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Adrian>SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\Users\Adrian>

#8 ·

Hi,

Cant be anything to do with software as i only have windows installed atm no other drivers except video drivers
Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. You can use a beta driver version if you've already used the latest and multiple previous versions.

Regards,

Patrick

#11 ·

I hear talk of RMA and i was wondering if you can RMA it without original packaging. It seems like this is possible, will read about it
Hi,

Yes, I have RMA'd hardware without the original packaging. For example, when RMA'ing my RAM, I simply sent it in a well-sealed and protected envelope.

For video cards, you could find a box that will protect it will enough, etc.

If you feel or are confident enough that your problem is solved, please navigate to 'Thread Tools' at the top of the thread and select 'Mark this thread as solved'.

Regards,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.