Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Screen of Death diagnosis help?

2K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  sDX55555 
#1 · (Edited)
· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista? ------windows 7 · x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? --------x64 · What was the original installed OS on sthe ystem? -------------Windows 7 · Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? ----Retailer · Approximate age of system (hardware) ----------- 2 years · Approximate age of OS installation (if you know) ------------------ 1 year · Have you re-installed the OS? ----------------------- yes · CPU --------- intel i3-3225 @3.3 · Video Card ------------nvidia gtx 660 ti · MotherBoard ------------ asus p8277-v-lk · Power Supply - brand & wattage ------------ unknown · System Manufacturer ------------ custom · Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) Laptop or Desktop? ---------- desktop

I've been trying for months trying to diagnose the bsod by myself, and i believe i have made some progess in the fact that i'm
not getting the same error that I used to get (according bluescreenviewer).

Attachments

#2 ·
~Bump~

Please help guys! I attempted to do the driver verifier step mentioned in the sticky, and I didn't get a blue screen. But, then when I tried running my game (that always get BSOD) it gives me an i/o error of source 0 .... something. I then attempted to do a chkdsk and it said there were no problems with my file system and I've even ran a memtest on 3 occasions.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for replying. yep I saw that in my previous driver verifier attempt, and deleted it swiftly (it was a driver that would allow me to use my PS3 controller without motionjoy). in addition, last night I did some more reading and discovered that daemon tools was a prime cause for BSOD so I deleted that too. I then attempted to play Shogun 2, the cause of most of BSOD's and found that it was working fine, so I'm guessing it was daemon tools that was messing me up. However, I'll do the recommended tests just in case :)

Wait, isn't ImgBurn similar to daemon tools? In that case, wouldn't it cause BSOD as well?

#6 ·
So, after playing a little bit of counter strike source, I got two more blue screens. The first time it was the kernel data inpage error, the second time it was the critical object termination error. Then I did the seatools test and my HDD passed . . . I don't know what's going on anymore :S

#8 ·
I didn't build my computer so I decided not to go around messing with its components in case I mess something up permanently. So, I found a software that tested my memory called memtest. Not too sure if you've heard of it, but after a 200% coverage, it didn't find any errors ... Is it trustworthy considering it tested all free ram ?

#9 · (Edited)
Did you use memtest86+ (verbatim)?

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

2nd one listed - http://memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.iso.zip

Download the zip, extract the ISO; use ImgBurn to burn ISO to a bootable CD. You then boot from the CD. While it's preferable to test each stick separately, you can run it with your RAM configured as-is so you don't need to fool with the RAM sticks.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. One thing about the 0xce exception error involving the I/O error listed in the dumps -- it says "..a disk was expected but has been removed..." (or something similar).

Assuming for the moment the I/O error is not referring to the internal HDD, do you/have there been any removable USB sticks or drives attached then removed at some point?

On the other hand, the bugchecks themselves (0xf4, 0x7a) do actually tell me that the OS drive itself is somehow involved here (which would be the internal SATA HDD).
`

#10 · (Edited)
Hey, I did as you said an ran memtest86. It didn't find any errors either...

As for the USB, I used to have a camera, a headset, and my playstation 3 controller connected, but as of now, they aren't connected. Right now, I have a mouse, a wireless keyboard, and a usb wireless adapter. The only time I connected my portable HDD was when I was backing up my computer.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi -

Glad to hear of positive memtest86+ results.

Thank you for the information about your USB devices.

Have you ever experienced BSODs when the external HDD was plugged in?

Let's see if Driver Verifier flags any 3rd party drivers.

Please run - http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-8-1-8-0-7-and-vista-bsod-related-473665.html

If Driver Verifier detects a violation, it will force a BSOD. If so, go to \windows\minidump and copy the new dump file to Documents, then zip it up and attach.

Let it run in the background for 24 hours minimum.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

#15 ·
Hi -

You can shut Driver Verifier off now.

Bring up an Admin CMD prompt; type:
Code:
[font=lucida console]verifier /reset[/font]
Re-boot system.

BSODs are being caused by unknown hardware failure. The dumps are incapable of telling us the exact piece of hardware that is failing.

Please post any future dumps.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.