Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Blue Screen DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE STOP 0x0000009F (xxx1, xxx2, xxx3, xxx4)

This is a discussion on Blue Screen DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE STOP 0x0000009F (xxx1, xxx2, xxx3, xxx4) within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (Please be gentle - newbie here) I get the BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on my Win VISTA Media Centre PC an

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

(Please be gentle - newbie here)

I get the BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on my Win VISTA Media Centre PC an (intel) Pioneer DreamVision PC.

I am pretty confident it is caused by the 'Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus' 1Tb drive connected to the 1394 firewire port. I tested by using the plug/unplug test to see if any problems do/do not occur. This morning when the Maxtor was off I went to the DVD Library which is kept on the Maxtor and after the Machine hung I got the BSOD.

Is there a fix? I have tried Update for Windows Vista (KB929762) but "it is not for my system" message is displayed.

Other forums have suggested it could be a power supply problem in the PC?

I am using Vista Home Premium 32 as a Media centre PC to watch TV, DVDs etc. I have service pack 1 and all the automatic updates issued up to 22 Sept.

I have uninstalled all the updates including SP1 and reinstalled them to no avail.

I have a standard Windows load with the following extras,
FireFox; ICE TV guide (guide information for Australia), MCE standby tool; AnyDVD; Standard Win Firewall; standard windows Vista Virus checker (Defender?) - I have generally used the windows default divers for devices.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi. . .

Did you install the software that came with the 1-touch external drive? Or do you simply copy files out to it?

If the former, I suggest that you leave the ext drive un-plugged, then un-install the software, then plug the drive back in to see if the BSODs continue.

The majority of back-up software that comes w/these drives DO NOT work with Vista. I have a 500gb 1-touch and never installed the software and have never had a problem w/the external drive. But I can't use the 1-touch backup feature and honestly, I would not want to. I have found it to unreliable in the past.

Is there much on that external drive that you have back-up that is vital?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Hi. . .

Did you install the software that came with the 1-touch external drive? Or do you simply copy files out to it?

If the former, I suggest that you leave the ext drive un-plugged, then un-install the software, then plug the drive back in to see if the BSODs continue.

The majority of back-up software that comes w/these drives DO NOT work with Vista. I have a 500gb 1-touch and never installed the software and have never had a problem w/the external drive. But I can't use the 1-touch backup feature and honestly, I would not want to. I have found it to unreliable in the past.

Is there much on that external drive that you have back-up that is vital?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Hey thanks for the quick reply.....

No, did not install any software that came on the disk - I copied it off (for safe keeping) and use it only for storing movies to play on the media centre so there is no software on it. I have left it unplugged and it does not BSOD - plug it in and at some point in the not to far future a BSOD will happen.

Did not install any other drivers for that drive to my knowledge - just plugged it in and let vista sort it out. I will say it used to work with SP1 and I an not sure if a later update is the problem?

The only stuff on the drive are movies, no back-ups; no software - so nothing vital as such just a lot of time to put them there (is this leading to a format of the drive?).
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

It may be leading to re-format in NTFS if not already. But I don't believe that would make a difference. I have externals - most 250gb and 500gb - none 1tb as you have, but don't see how this would matter either.

When you plug it in - check Device Manager and look for yellow/red flags.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
It may be leading to re-format in NTFS if not already. But I don't believe that would make a difference. I have externals - most 250gb and 500gb - none 1tb as you have, but don't see how this would matter either.

When you plug it in - check Device Manager and look for yellow/red flags.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

When I plug it in it works fine - when I have checked device manager there are no red/yellow flags.

One thing I have done but have since reversed, is I have used the old DOS SUBST command ('subst J:\ I:\) so that my DVD library will be recongnised and play the DVDs. If I do not do that for some reason the drive/folder is either not recognised or will not play. But lately when plugged in it is automatically recognised as J and I do not need the SUBST command.

(I have the drive on an XP machine to see what happens - far (3 or more hours) no problems)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

I should have asked before, but is the bugcheck on the BSOD you mentioned in your initial post 0x9f only - or have there been others?

I reviewed MS kb929762. Your system did not "wake" and had the BSOD, correct? I also see that kb929762 specifically mentions IEEE 1394 - but not USB. What happens if you connect to the drive via USB? Any BSODs?

One other item caught my eye -
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyflyer View Post
. . . This morning when the Maxtor was off I went to the DVD Library which is kept on the Maxtor and after the Machine hung I got the BSOD. . . .
I don't quite understand - if the Maxtor was off... how did you go to the DVD library?

I would like to have a look at the existing dump files and gather some system information from you. To expedite this task, please download the attached zip file and extract the contents to your desktop - a batch file and SysInternals AutoRuns.

Go to your desktop, right-click on the batch file and select run as administrator. You will see the black "DOS" screen appear and scroll followed by the green status bar. It will take about 3 - 5 minutes to run. The last item you will see will be the AutoRuns viewer - just let it run. If you look at the bottom-left of the AutoRuns screen, you will see it says "scanning...". When it is finished after about a minute or so, it will disappear indicating the batch job has finished. The output will be in a new folder found within your documents folder named TSF_Vista_Support.

Zip the contents of the new folder up and attach to your next post.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT: Please note - new batch file attached at 21:31 EDT.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi. . .

I should have asked before, but is the bugcheck on the BSOD you mentioned in your initial post 0x9f only - or have there been others?

I reviewed MS kb929762. Your system did not "wake" and had the BSOD, correct? I also see that kb929762 specifically mentions IEEE 1394 - but not USB. What happens if you connect to the drive via USB? Any BSODs?

One other item caught my eye -

I don't quite understand - if the Maxtor was off... how did you go to the DVD library?

[snip]
Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT: Please note - new batch file attached at 21:31 EDT.

Thanks jcgriff2 for putting this effort into the problem. I will do as you ask and post it.

The maxtor has a sleep mode (I think) and the power light on the front was off indicating that the port had shut down or the maxtor had shut down due to it not being used or had been disconnected -when it has not been? When I went to the DVD library it was woken from the power down state i.e the power/indicator light came on again. That was what I meant when I said "it was off" sorry if that was not clear. I wonder if that is the problem? the port is shutting down (to save power)? I do have the VISTA power settings set to full power/high performance (I think last time I checked).

I have the maxtor on my XP machine and I note the power/indicator light does not go off like it does on the Vista machine; rather it cycles by dimming then going up in brightness - if I then access the drive (on the xp machine) the light blinks on and off for a bit then goes to full steady brightness.

Have not tried USB (yet).

On the bugcheck BSOD screen there are other numbers in brackets.

The problem does not happen coming out of sleep or when powering up - I am watching TV and the BSOD comes up.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

As requested by jcgriff2, attached (I hope) is my zipped files relating to the problem. Thanks once again for looking at this problem.

Regards
DG
Canberra,
Australia.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vista Support.zip (556.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

This evening I had 2 BSODs with in an hour of each other while watching TV. This time I wrote down the error codes.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

1 - - 09F; 03; 84EE4028; 856F0AC8; 85502820;

2 - - 09F; 03; 86503028; 864B(or 8)FAC8; 85202008;

When I have "B or 8" as I am using a CDT TV it is a bit hard to tell just which letter or number it is.

Does this help?

Thanks DG
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi DG. . .

Thank you very much for the files.

A quick look through them showed me that your Atheros wifi driver needs to be updated:
Code:
     Name: HP 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter
Device ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001B&SUBSYS_500111AD&REV_01\4&38303207&0&00F0

Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\athr.sys, 
7.02.0000.0132 (English), 2/1/2007 02:55:10, 690176 bytes
I recently handled a BSOD case involving this same driver that was listed as the cause and it had a timestamp on it of July 2007 - yours is January 2, 2007 (or is that Feb 1, 2007?). I don't have a website for you as you will need to go to your manufacturer's web site to check for this update. While you are there, also check for any driver updates related to your Realtek audio as also dated Jan/Feb 2007.

Reading your story about the Maxtor drive got me thinking. I remembered the kids joking about the 2 external drives I had sitting next to each other. One was a Maxtor 1-touch and the other an Acomdata. I remember my 7 yr old asking me why the one (Acomdata) wouldn't "shut-up" b/c the other wasn't "talking to it"! He was talking about the one always blinking blue/purple while the Maxtor fell silent at times. So I went down and got the Maxtor, plugged it into this Vista x64 system and it would not allow me to "safely remove" it.

I looked into the properties of the drive under disk management and found that it was being indexed (general tab) and disc cache was enabled (Properties --> Hardware --> click on Properties bottom-right --> Policies). I turned off write caching as I use it only for data backup and temp movements while re-installing the OS. Also, be sure that Ready Boost is off.

I don't know whether the above are options for you or not, but you should look them over nonetheless.

START | type diskmgmt.msc into the start search box and hit enter

I am looking through the rest of the files now and will continue on them later. But given that watching TV requires Internet, I thought it important to bring the wifi driver to your attention b/4 it is actually named in a BSOD!

Regards. . .

JC

Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

jcgriff2,

I like to think I am an upgrade junkie - I tried to update both the wireless and audio driver previously without much success, but I tried again and I found a driver and was able to update the wireless to June 2008 and realtek to Aug 2008.

I think I have turned off indexing on both the C drive and the maxtor and have the caching turned off on maxtor "to allow quick removal". I have reconnected the maxtor and will see what happens today.

I thought I saw in one of the reports, an error to the effect of a time out waiting for the maxtor.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Well the wireless and audio driver update did not stop the BSOD - I left it this morning for about 6-7 hours and when I came back to it I had the BSOD - with the MAXTOR connected.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

For some reason, I don't have the mini kernel dumps from your previous BSODs and would like to get those and the new ones.

Please get them from c:\windows\minidump - ALL of them, zip the up and attach to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi. . .

For some reason, I don't have the mini kernel dumps from your previous BSODs and would like to get those and the new ones.

Please get them from c:\windows\minidump - ALL of them, zip the up and attach to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I am sorry but there are no files in C:\windows\mimidump - do I need to turn on logging or some thing????????
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

It seems that you may have to, although it should be set by default.

START | type SystemPropertiesAdvanced into the start box and hit enter - click on the 3rd button - Start-up and Recovery. Then make sure you setting is for a small minidump.

JC

/
Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hi JC,

attached is a mini dump from this morning - the scenario was - the mator was plugged in and shut down i.e the indicator light was off - I went to media center DVD Library - the maxtor indicator light came on indicating access?- did not see any videos - minimised media centre and when into windows explorer clicked on the drive - took a long time for the green bar to move across the top and seemed to stop meanwhile no files were showing - the green bar seemed to stop for a long while then the BSOD.

Thanks DG
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mini093008-01.zip (42.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

Here is another minidump from today - the exact say scenario as the previous one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mini100108-01.zip (41.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Hello JC,

Here are some more minidumps - I left the media centre on today while I was out and had 4 BSODs at:-

(10:07)
11:20 - 1 hour 13 minutes
12:33 - 1 hour 13 Minutes
13:46 - 1 hour 13 minutes
14:56 - 1 Hour 10 minutes (hmmm that one is out)

all around an 1 hour and 13 minutes or so spaced apart. Is that significant? what happens every 1 and a 1/4 hours????

Thanks

DG
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidumps.zip (159.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Don't know about the time on those last 4 - maybe an update program of some kind? Interesting to say the least.

Picked up the dump files...

JC

Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #20
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

The bugcheck is indeed 0x0000009f (0x00000003, 0x86857028, 0x86746ac8, 0x84f3de28), with the probable cause listed as the Microsoft SBP-2 Protocol driver sbp2port.sys.

Interesting to note here is the entry found in the system event log:
Code:
Event[3]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: sbp2port
  Date: 2008-09-25T13:36:05.933
  Event ID: 25
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: MediaCentre-PC
  Description: 
The driver has detected a device with old or out-of-date firmware. 
 The device will not be used.
I know that I asked already, but... Do you have software installed for your external hard drive? What else do you have w/firmware?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Closed Thread