Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

100% CPU Spikes, Please help me.

This is a discussion on 100% CPU Spikes, Please help me. within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Whenever I'm watching a movie on Hulu, ABC.com or NBC.com my CPU usage will spike to 100% for about 15-20

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Whenever I'm watching a movie on Hulu, ABC.com or NBC.com my CPU usage will spike to 100% for about 15-20 seconds and it will happen every minute or so. It causes the video but NOT the audio to lag severely. This only happens when the videos are playing in full screen mode, or when opened and maximized in a separate window. The problem does not accrue when playing videos using Windows Media Player or VLC.
The only other instance where this happens consistently is while playing games, most recent game i've experienced it with is with Dragon Age: Origins, even when the gfx settings are set at bare minimum.
When I open task manager, if i'm watching a movie via internet it will be the browser using 95-99% of the CPU, this is consistent with I.E. Firefox, and Google Chrome. If I'm playing a game it will be the game using 95-99% of CPU usage, consistent with a variety of games, with Diablo II being the only exception.

System Information:
HP Pavilion dv4
Windows Vista x64
AMD Turion X2 Ultra x64
ATI Radeon HD 3200
4 Gigs Ram

Recently updated Catalyst Drivers (made no difference)
All windows updates to date are installed.

I have been looking all over forums for weeks trying to find a solution to this issue and have had no success. So please if anyone knows how to solve this issue or can direct me to a thread with a resolution I would be forever grateful.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Update: I downloaded Process Explorer, learned that "fmodex.dll" is the file which is causing the spikes in CPU usage? Any idea's on how to reslove this?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Tosinv Send a message via MSN to Tosinv

Looks like a Virus. Can you please scan you machine with Anti Virus you got and clean the system...It is fmodex.dll is a process belonging to FMOD Ex" "from Firelight Technologies"

Dis you installed anything new..

Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ update it and do a quick scan for possible threats.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Not necessarily a virus: http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ibrary/fmodex/

Please provide us with this information to get us started: http://www.techsupportforum.com/1871981-post2.html
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for the help, I attached the zip file to this reply. I don't think it's a virus but I'm going to run a few scans to be sure I'm trying to eliminate every possibility. Also fmodex.dll is a file used by Dragon Age, while this seems to be the file doing the spiking while playing the game, it seems totally unrelated to the problems I am having with video.
Attached Files
File Type: rar TSF_Vista_Support.rar (743.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Bluetooth device drivers not installed. Please go to Device Manager and install the drivers for this device.

Quote:
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{426C6163-6B42-6572-7279-427970617373}_LOCALMFG&000F\7&2A035C05&0&00237AFE5BD8_C00000003 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{426C6163-6B42-6572-7279-44736B746F70}_LOCALMFG&000F\7&2A035C05&0&00237AFE5BD8_C00000003 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Lot's of Roxio errors in November. Please uninstall the Roxio application(s)
ISATAP errors in December - please go to Device Manager and check under the Network Adapters category. Right click on all ISATAP adapters and select "Uninstall" - then reboot to see if they're redetected (most times they won't be).

I'd suspect that these issues are the one's that are causing your problems - but can't be sure.

So, to help identify things, try this process:
Quote:
Task Manger
Also, you can monitor the system for excessive resource consumption. To do this, open up Task Manager by right clicking on the Task Bar.
Then select the Processes tab.
Then select the "Show processes from all users" button (in the lower left)
Then select the View menu item, then select "Select columns"
In the Select columns window, place checkmarks next to I/O Reads and I/O Other.
Click OK to accept the changes.
Resize the Task Manager window so you can see the most of the columns.
Wait for the system to freeze.
Look at the columns to see if there's anything that looks excessively high - if so, let us know the Image name of the process. FWIW - System Idle Process is supposed to have high CPU readings - anything else with high CPU readings is an issue.

Closed Thread