Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Photographer's Corner

Colors of images within programs are too Sepia

This is a discussion on Colors of images within programs are too Sepia within the Photographer's Corner forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Using any of my imaging programs, the images show up too sepia. As you can see from my Lightroom screenshot,

Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Using any of my imaging programs, the images show up too sepia. As you can see from my Lightroom screenshot, the background is sepia instead of grey, and the image has sepia instead of being black and white. They show up normal in the "file manager," Windows Explorer, with the Preview pane, but in any program everything has a sepia affect.

I'm not a novice, but yet I still haven't been able to fix the problem. Time to ask for help... Difficult to edit photos properly when they look warmer than they will print.

(old photo, film)
(view my photography at "WilliamsRDan.us")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	too-sepia.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	304289  
williamsrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

Hi williamsrdan and welcome to TSF

I don't use 'Lightroom' or any of the Photoshop-related software but somewhere in there should be a filter to remove 'Colour-Cast', it might also be called 'Temperature' or some such name.

Alternatively, you can download the 'NIC Collection' of filters, free from Google, they interact with Photoshop and most other photo-editing software very well. To adjust your unwanted sepia-effect, use the 'Colour Efex Pro' 'Remove Colour Cast' filter from the list on the left-hand side.

Another way to lose the sepia, if you're wanting B&W photos, is to convert to greyscale, 16bits/channel for best quality.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

The problem is bigger than just Photoshop or Lightroom, it's also Windows Photo Viewer, or any program other than WinExplorer's Preivew pane, and a web browser...
As you can see from the screenshot, it's not just the image, but the border as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Hi williamsrdan and welcome to TSF

I don't use 'Lightroom' or any of the Photoshop-related software but somewhere in there should be a filter to remove 'Colour-Cast', it might also be called 'Temperature' or some such name.

Alternatively, you can download the 'NIC Collection' of filters, free from Google, they interact with Photoshop and most other photo-editing software very well. To adjust your unwanted sepia-effect, use the 'Colour Efex Pro' 'Remove Colour Cast' filter from the list on the left-hand side.

Another way to lose the sepia, if you're wanting B&W photos, is to convert to greyscale, 16bits/channel for best quality.
williamsrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

I see you're using Win-8.1 which, in a way, is a pity 'cos I bypassed that one so I don't know where the various settings are - Have you set a Windows 'Theme' or customised the Windows colours or colour-'temperature' in any way?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsrdan View Post
The problem is bigger than just Photoshop or Lightroom, it's also Windows Photo Viewer, or any program other than WinExplorer's Preivew pane, and a web browser...
There used to be free monitor calibration utilities out there, but I can't say if any are more useful or trustworthy now than any others.

I've used them in the past when I couldn't balance colors any other way.
Confounded Also is online now   Reply With Quote