Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

svchost constantly popping up

918 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  GeneralNemesis 
#1 · (Edited)
svchost constantly popping up-hjt.log-screenshots

I don't know what may have started this, but kaspersky kept telling me that svchost.exe was performing a suspicious action trying to inject something into winlogon.exe. It asked me to allow/deny, I denied, and it kept repeating. Eventually I ran a scan and detected that "smarthook.dll" contained a trojan. I used kaspersky to remove it, and downloaded a clean copy of the .dll and put it in my system32 folder.

Now I am receiving the classic:

svchost.exe:
"The instruction at "0x7588bba5" referenced memory at "0xfede1500". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program"

Only this pops up every 5 seconds about 6 times and then stops, and randomly will continue this pattern.

I have attached 2 logs, one is current <taken today> the other I just happen to log a few days ago for the hell of it (before I noticed any errors). I don't know if.. comparing will help I just want to provide all info I have.

~Thanks!

[edit]
**Additional: Just ran AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta and it detected system32/userinit.exe as a "Hidden Application"

extra info: sometimes when the svchost error pops up, my taskbar at the bottom changes to the old grey style and not the windows xp style.

Also: included a screenshot (edited for size).

System Info:
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+, 1 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MOBO

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
nobody responding, so I'm trying to help myself. A couple things I've noticed
1) in my list of services, there is a service named "Asctcgwto" set to disabled. This brings up nothing in google.
2) After turning on my computer, I type "at" in the console and it responds with "The service has not been started." I use the at command fairly often.
3) I type "net localgroup" and it tells me that the workstation service has not been started. So I start it.... I Don't know why it isn't already started, (it's set as "Automatic" but was stopped).

The problem is getting worse because from the moment I click login, it brings up multiple svchost.exe errors and takes an exceptionally longer amount of time to fully log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.