Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware ulterior motives (meaning my wireless computer is sick)

1K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  sonofaman 
#1 ·
Hello, I used to come here alot for help but due to recent events I neglected to keep my computer clean and practice ensuring my privacy. Its weird, when my computer stops working correctly I start working correctly.

I have been having issues with my cable service (time warner) ever since we started. I am running windows XP performance edition and have many sound cards hooked up to the machine through usb. I have suspicions that these viruses are also messing with our phone lines (due to the popular all in one deals that these companies offer, yet I believe its too much for their customer service team to handle with motivation when individuals have problems with the service). I have switched modems and routers and reset all our OS's (except for the laptop which seems to be the only computer that has a working wireless internet connection (it is also the only one with an active anti-virus program which I am assuming to be effective (norton)). Time warner has sent us letters complaining that our IP address is sending out solicitor emails, I have called them and they do not seem to want to help us.

So pretty much history repeated itself here and the internet connection with my computer upstairs has been going. The issue is that my internet usually pops up at random then loses connection (access points are visible but ip connection is never established). Adding a TKA key to our gateway solved our problems temporarily. The weird part was that when both systems were formatted, only the gateway computer returned to its healthy internet connection state, the one upstairs stayed the way it was before the formatting (making me suspicious of possible hardware damage on the PCI linksys card).

As for the state of my OS, the one downstairs is running fine, the one upstairs may have been installed with a defective copy due to the computer not being able to shut down or restart sometimes from the start menu. Another interesting thing to note was that for some OS commands (shut down, apply changes, etc) caused the windows front screen to warp a bit, like it looked completely random with the task bar being in places it didnt belong and with most of the screen being covered in greyness. Dragging a responding program window over these graphical glitches caused an eraser affect and revealed a normal OS desktop.

Basically I am trying to get my internet back without having these issues again. I now understand that I need to put a little effort and not leave my computer alone when I am assuming I am satisfied with the results. I think doing so may have had its price, and I am hoping it did not because the system upstairs is actually a new machine. I am almost amazed with the way the pros handle themselves here, I will probably study this in the future to give you guys a hand.

All the following logs are from the upstairs wireless computer. Panda scan is being performed on the gateway computer this very minute and I will attach it shortly. Once again I am very thankful for your help, some very good people on this forum and I intend on following the rules this time.
There are also random folders with gibberish appearing on the c drive,

See less See more
#3 ·
BUMP and also some information I forgot to include was that I recently fell for a trojan horse trap from AOL instant messenger, made my friends pretty angry:laugh:. I have also included the Panda Scan results, I may have missed a thing or two with the steps I needed to take to make a log, if there is anything else I can do to make this helping process easier for you please dont hesitate to ask. Thanks again

#5 ·
I was able to get internet connection, but this is probably temporary. Sorry if I confused you guys with the gateway computer and the wireless one, the gateway computer seems to be fine. The one that I am using now (wireless), seems to be the victim, this is my uneducated interpretation of the panda scan logs. I also noticed a suspicious PCI device in my device manager, cant seem to figure out what it is, all the PCI devices I own are properly installed, this PCI device seems to be some sort of a ghost thats affecting my PCI linksys card, but with a grain of salt please :lol:. It seems like alot of people are having computer issues at the moment, so please take your time and let me know if I can do anything to make this process easier for you. Panda scan is attached here.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.