Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Inactive Malware Help Topics

[SOLVED] opaque titles for desktop icons can't be made transparent/desktop always act

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] opaque titles for desktop icons can't be made transparent/desktop always act within the Inactive Malware Help Topics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

07-02-2008, 12:03 PM #1 (permalink)
WaxhawRon

problem with desktop display properties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two nights ago I visited the web site Flash Fun Pages to find a joke to send to a friend who is sick with cancer. I did not end up sending anything and logged out. Yesterday, the background on my desktop was hijacked by this site. I ran Ad Aware SE and AVG both regularly and in safe mode, but did not find any viruses or malware. I also ran Trend Micro House Call but that did not find any problems either.

The problem was that the backgrounds were frozen at the end of the list, on "desktop", and could not be changed. I went on line to Downloads.com and looked under desktop display hijacked and found some freeware named Desktop Hijack Fix. This got rid of the Flash Fun Pages joke links and ads, but now my desktop display backgrounds are still frozen, although they are now frozen at the top of the list--'none'. I can choose a color, but I cannot access any of the background options, including the photo of my dog, which is my background of choice.

Interestingly, there are two users of my computer, and the other user does not have this problem. I can change the display properties backgrounds on the second user (my wife) with no problems.

How do I regain control of my desktop display properties. I will very much appreciate any help I can get.

WaxhawRon

07-02-2008, 12:49 PM #2 (permalink)
Coolfreak

Re: problem with desktop display properties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get Expert Help with malware removal:

I recommend that you read this article… ( Simply, click on the links to be re-directed.)

"Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First steps;
IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Please follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the
HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum;
not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps,
IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to HiJackThis Log Help Forum.

where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

System Specs

07-02-2008, 05:20 PM #3 (permalink)
WaxhawRon Registered User

I carried out the 5 steps. The only software I removed was Windows IE7 since it was the only software I run that was listed in the 26 pages. But then when I tried to go to http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/, I get a message that it is an invalid forum.

What is going on?

WaxhawRon

System Specs

07-02-2008, 08:06 PM #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your help, but I figured it out. A program named "winvi" somehow not only got installed into my program files, but it got installed. This hijacked my desktop and put the flash fun pages crapola onto my desktop. I uninstalled it and got control of my desktop display properties back.

Thank you very much for your help. Problem solved!

WaxhawRon

System Specs

07-02-2008, 09:28 PM #5 (permalink)
Coolfreak

Sorry, I made a mistake. But I am glad to see you got it worked out

-Coolfreak

System Specs

Yesterday, 07:11 AM #6 (permalink)

Actually, I was a bit premature in stating that the problem was totally solved. There are two hangovers. (1) I had to re-set all of the sound properties--no problem. But (2) all of my desktop icons have opaque boxes under them, i.e. instead of white print on a transparent background, they have white print on a colored background. I have matched the Advanced Appearance settings to both my laptop and to the second identity on my desktop, but while both of those have transparent backgrounds to white lettering for the names of the desktop shortcut icons, my desktop icons have opaque backgrounds. This is quite ugly. Perhaps you can instruct me how to get the transparent backgrounds back? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you

WaxhawRon

System Specs

Yesterday, 09:26 AM #7 (permalink)
Coolfreak Registered User

This should work.

Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Under performance, click Settings > Then check the box Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

That should fix it.

-Coolfreak

System Specs

Yesterday, 09:44 AM #8 (permalink)
WaxhawRon

Tried it last night and it did not work, but I just tried it again. The box was still checked so I unchecked it, re-booted, checked it again--still have the opaque backgrounds for the icon names. Re-booted again just to be sure, but they are still there. No change.

WaxhawRon

System Specs

Yesterday, 10:33 AM #9 (permalink)
Coolfreak Registered User

Hmm, I'm not sure then, to be honest.

You could try to choose one of the other options right above the check boxes. I know some people that have had the same problem as you and the solution didn't fix it either. I'm not sure why it works for some people, and not for others.

System Specs

Yesterday, 10:55 AM #10 (permalink)

I appreciate your honesty. I've googled the problem and the common solution is the one you've recommended. But based on the replies in the other forums, this has not worked for too many people. It seems to be an XP problem, and one site gave a link to Microsoft that supposedly had a solution to this, but when I tried the link it was closed.

I'll obviously keep working on this because it makes for an ugly desktop, so if anything new comes to mind, please let me know. Thanks very much for trying. I appreciate it greatly.

WaxhawRon

System Specs

Yesterday, 11:34 AM #11 (permalink)
Coolfreak

I used to have dual monitors, and when I did that, I had the same problem as you. The solution that I gave you also didn't work for me. I eventually didn't need my second monitor anymore and disconnected it, which took away my problem. You don't have two monitors do you?

Anyways, I will continue to see if I can find an answer for your problem too.

Best of luck,

-Coolfreak

System Specs

Yesterday, 11:45 AM #12 (permalink)
WaxhawRon

Good idea, but I only use one monitor. I have a laptop but don't hook it up to my desktop monitor. Thanks for racking your brain re this. It is apparently a pretty common problem with no real fix that I have found so far. Might be a valid problem to write software to fix, and sell the software if you don't believe in shareware.

WaxhawRon

System Specs

Yesterday, 04:39 PM #13 (permalink)
Coolfreak

Alright, well, it seems this program is what we are looking for.

Only problem is, it says its only good for Windows 2000 or lower. Although, it might still work with Windows XP. You can give it a try if you wish.

Edit-- Alright, I also found this program which seems to be a lot more promising than TransText

System Specs

Yesterday, 05:20 PM #14 (permalink)
WaxhawRon

Thank you very much for the extra effort.

Well, I tried the iconoid program you linked me to. It said I had to turn off my active desktop to make the icon backgrounds transparent. First I did Desktop Hijack Fix and restored desktop default settings. Then I went to display-desktop-customize-web and checked the box next to My Current Home Page. This is what is supposed to turn off my active desktop. But Iconoid still says my desktop is active so the program will not make the option for making the icon background transparent available to be checked.

Am I missing something?

WaxhawRon

Add WaxhawRon to Your Buddy List

System Specs

Yesterday, 06:51 PM #15 (permalink)
Coolfreak

To turn off Active Desktop:

Right-click on your desktop > Properties, go to the "Desktop" tab > at the bottom click "Customize Desktop"> got to the "Web" tab. Nothing in there should have a checkmark.

System Specs

Yesterday, 10:51 PM #16 (permalink)
WaxhawRon

I guess my computer is just screwed up from that Winivi, which oddly enough was scanned by AVG, AdAware, and Trend Micro and did not show up as any sort of threat. I had the only box (My Computer was the caption next to the box) unchecked, and then checked it, and now unchecked it again. The Iconoid software still says that I have an active desktop so I can't do anything with it to make the icon descriptions transparent.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some searching about Winivi to see if thereare any forums with discussions about similar instances with other people. This is all very confusing. I was so proud of myself when I figured out that Winivi was the culprit and uninstalled it, but this last problem it caused just makes for an ugly desktop. In and of itslef I guess that's not a bad problem, but something tells me that if this is a problem, something else is lurking.

Thank you very much for your continued effort on this. Have a happy 4th of July.

WaxhawRon

System Specs

Today, 04:39 PM #17 (permalink)
Coolfreak

I think you should verify with the experts that your computer is completely free of any malware.

Sorry about my last mistake on where to post the HJT log. Please post the log and all information in this forum.

-Coolfreak

Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have gone through the 5 steps.

Attached please find the Hijack This log, and the 2 DSS logs.

I cannot post the Panda ActiveScan log from my first scan because I simply forgot to upload it and when I go back to the site all it says is that 11 tracking cookies were disinfected. But I am attaching the log from my second scan. Interestingly, there were 4 additional low level tracking cookies found and disinfected. The same 8 vulnerabilities--all from Microsoft updates--remain on my computer since the software does not disnfect these or offer the opportunity to disinfect them.

Spyware Blaster has been set up to protect everything on my computer.

But the problem is still that apparently my desktop is active and cannoot be turned off. I have run Iconoid and cannot make the titles for my desktop icons transparent because it states that the desktop is active. You can see in my previous posting the work that Cool Freak has done to try to figure this out before he kicked this over to "the experts".

Please help me. It's not only that my desktop is ugly with these opaque icon title boxes, there is something wrong with my computer that is causing this that we have not identified as yet, and who knows what havoc that might wreak in the future! Thank you very much for your attention and help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt extra.txt (14.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt main.txt (32.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: txt hijackthis.log--7-08-08.txt (7.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt ActiveScan.txt (7.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

abcdefg
Old 07-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

I see that my post has made it all the way to page 8. Please note that we tried for days in the XP forum to resolve this before Cool Freak ran out of ideas and told me to post to this HJT post. So it's really been a while that we have been trying to resolve this problem. All 5 steps have been followed and all files requested are attached. Please help.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Confused

Hi HJT,

C'mon now. Here's a real challenge for you. I just ran Panda ActiveScan in safe mode and could not find any malware in my computer. The log is attached. Permalink 1 shows the history of what we went through at the XP forum before Cool Freak was unable to find anything causing the problem. 4 days were spent trying everything conceivable to find a problem in XP. Nada. So Cool Freak determined that there had to be some malware of some sort causing the problem. Permalink 2 has the logs from your 5 steps. Permalink 3 was an error that I could not delete, so please excuse this. Permalink 4 was a plea for help. And here I go again, trying to pique your interest in tackling this problem.

Googling the problem found that there are a lot of people out there who are also plagued by this. I even found a link to a Microsoft site pruporting to resolve the problem, but it was shut down.

So c'mon. Take the challenge and try to resolve this problem. If you read through this entire history you will see how many different things we've tried to resolve it, all to no avail.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ActiveScan--safe mode.txt (7.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, it's been a week since I last posted to this thread. One of you folks has got to be interested in solving this problem. Coolfreak spent days on this in the XP support forum without being able to resolve it. He recommended that I post to the HJT forum. Can't one of you PLEASE help me resolve this problem?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

It's been 9 days since I last posted on this thread requesting help. I see that there have been 250 views of this thread, but no replies. If you have looked at this but have no solutions, please just let me know so I can stop waiting for help. I like your site a lot, it has been a great help to me, but if you can't help with this particular problem please just let me know and I'll close the thread.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Problem is solved. Coolfreak kept at it in the XP forum and with the help of Big X came up with a solution. Problem is solved.