Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUMP:Fix didn't work for Beagle Virus

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  originale 
#1 ·
Hi- I'm not sure how to do alert members that I'm still having a problem- posting a reply to my own thread doesn't seem to be the way since I didn't get a reply. And I'm not sure how to include the previous post so I'll tell you my problem again. I know you recommended not to post a new thread but I didn't see the stickies you referred to and didn't know what else to do.

I followed JG's advice to try to delete the Beagle virus which was in quarantine and then ran the virus scan he recommended. I went back to Norton and the virus is still in virus history and shows the status as infected. But the virus scan reported that the computer has no virus. so, I don't know if I do or don't have the virus. What should I do next?

Thanks

deborah

#2 ·
Download and try this:
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml#Bagle

If it doesn't report anything, then you should be fine other than the quarantine file. Or if you are running ME or XP you may have to turn your system restore feature off to properly remove the infection.

But if you av is running you may not be infected anymore.

#4 ·
Thank you for the advice. I had system restore turned off so that's not it.

The virus is Beagle, not Bagle. And I downloaded and ran the fix from the Symantec site.

My question is how to verify if the virus is still present or not. I was told that as long as it is in quarantine, Live Update will not function properly.

So, I'm still stuck.

#6 ·
deleted the quarantined viruses- still there

I deleted the quarantine, ran that same virus checker which stated no virus found. But Norton virus history still shows that the computer is infected and the virus is still in quarantine. Shd I be checking the registry to confirm this?

#7 ·
The beagle/bagle virus are the same thing. It depends on which AV company decided to name it what, but under alaises they list each other's name. The bagle removal tool from f-secure is probably very similiar to the one symantec's site has. They both can stop the virus in memory, and detect and remove other infected processes as well as the registry entry the virus has for startup.

As for the symantec quarantine log/message, I don't know how why. Maybe there is a FAQ on the symantec website, unless someone else has used norton av and can jump in and help.

#8 ·
Could history mean what has happened to your computer? Is it that it "was" infected, but is no longer?

Just using the description of the file Norton "history"??? :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Thanks I think it's resolved

Ok- thanks to all. I guess the virus history is just that- I got the rolling eyes message. I know it seems elementary to you but for the non-techs of the world, many of these things are unclear.

It sounds to me like my computer is now clear and I thank all of you for helping me. I didn't know to delete the virus from quarantine-and now know for next time.

BTW- symantec didn't appear to have a FAQ link so some of this will remain unknown to me.

Really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me. Very grateful that you are all here!

#10 ·
Really wasn't trying to give you the rolling eyes. I was going more for maybe a questioned look on the history.

Sorry if you felt offended by that.

Glad to here you are up and running again without worries.

#12 ·
IDTENT: it's ok

I wasn't offended- appreciate your time and the help. I just know I probably sounded dumb to you- and I am grateful for the education. I've learned a lot and I think you are all incredible to volunteer your time to people such as me.

Deborah :smile:

idtent said:
Really wasn't trying to give you the rolling eyes. I was going more for maybe a questioned look on the history.

Sorry if you felt offended by that.

Glad to here you are up and running again without worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.