Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garden Status 2017 [Retired]

10K views 105 replies 7 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 ·
Might be a little early to start this thread......except for those who live in southern states. I'm thinking Texas.....:laugh:

Got my new seed catalog......pretty much right on time depending on what type and how much seed you need. Wait too long and you will be locked out on some seeds when they sell all available stock.

My garden will be much smaller this year and moved to a better protected area......inside my fenced yard. I don't plan on freezing or canning any vegetables this time around.....all will be eaten fresh.

I'm still determined to try my hand at 'Corleone' tomatoes after striking out on 3 previous attempts. Deer love 'mater plants but I have yet to see a deer in my fenced yard.....rabbits get in on occasion but the dogs take care of them. Too much of a pain to erect temporary fence so I'll just move the garden to an area that is already fenced.....:thumb: As for the dogs, I'll drive a few posts and string some cheap 'caution tape' and hope it works.

I plan on starting seeds mid March.

#3 ·
I sowed seeds in a flat early in January ( with full moon ) and just finished moving the last seedling to individual 6-packs.

I planted Cilantro Basil, onions and thyme in December so they are pretty far along now. 'maters, Jalapenos, Cayenne and Habaneros are about 1.5 inches and looking good

Everything is in the greenhouse now, but temps are getting warmer, so I'll be putting the cilantro in the outside pots this weekend. Shooting to have everything in the ground by March 1

#5 ·
Seeds are on their way according to email from Park......:thumb:

One of my favorite programs was "Crockett's Victory Garden".......back in the 70's....:laugh: Many other good programs from PBS back then.....Julia Child, Justin Wilson, Bob Ross, etc..

#7 · (Edited)
View attachment 301105 The Babies this morning . . This is about half of the crop so far . . This is the first year I have grown Geraniums from seed and looks like it will be successful

I potted some Cilantro in the large pots that will be home for the little darlin's for the next few months. The Basil will be next. Still too early to put anything in the ground, we almost always have one last frost in February

Plant Herb Botany Houseplant Garden

#8 ·
Lookin' good so far......:thumb:

I'm a month out on starting any seeds......thinkin' about rigging up an 'over-shelf' above my desk for the heat. Once they sprout I'll have to move the critters to a location with better lighting......or adjust my blinds to let sunlight in. My desk on an exterior wall.....centered on the window. Faces West and the afternoon sun can be brutal.

#9 ·
First time in 3 or 4 years I get to plant a garden again. And I have miss my home grown produce.

Warm enough during most days here now to put the seed trays in direct sun on the deck. Just starting as I don't want things too tall before transplanting. Last average frost around here is April 15.

I finally got myself some pear seeds in seedling stage now. I have been trying years to get these to even sprout. At least now I can purchase pears from Tram-law (Wal-mart) in variety I like and get my trees that way. I just didn't want to spent $30 a tree.

The reg garlic and the garlic chives are already up, I just planted the shallot bulbs. They should sprout rather quickly as they have been in cold storage.

#10 ·
I'm jealous.....:laugh:

Anything planted even on Memorial Day is at risk up here. That's usually when I set the 'maters and peppers in the garden.....and I lost them the next day to frost some years. Last time my plants were threatened with frost I used the boxes from 12-packs to protect them......looked like a cemetery when the boxes were in place.

If I can find a decent selection I'll plant a few fruit trees this year.......no cherries. I'd like cherries but the birds take a toll on my raspberries as it is. I tried strawberries once and the birds took care of that plan. About the only critters I don't have are squirrels......they're up the road and can stay there.

#11 ·
I like sweet cherries but just too cold for them as bloom too early. I had them 15 south of here but only sour cherries will make it here.

I keep my fruit tree fence off here as I would not even have apples or peaches if the 2 Emus have their way. They were stripping my native plums off before they even got ripe the last year I was on my old place.

#12 ·
Plums would be nice.....apples I don't eat much of. When I was a kid the neighbor let us have our way with his apples. May try peaches again.

My daughter has fruit trees......planted by the former homeowner. The apples she feeds to her animals and the plums rot on the ground.....:sigh:

#15 ·
Eating pear I can sell fairly easily.

Now if you're referring to Bradfords I just had about 24 of them taken out. And those thorns can make some petty nasty sores. I got tire of clean up everything a storm came through.

When the electric company volunteer to cut them down and remove them for free I couldn't turn it down. Just going to plant dogwoods in their place. Besides dogwoods smell a lot better than those stinky Bradfords although those Chinese chestnuts are just about as bad to me but at you get something in return for putting up with them.

#16 ·
Chives are perking up........after being outside all winter. That'll make the girls happy. I may have to plant more......they keep 'em pretty well pruned back most of the summer. Never shoulda suggested they try chives on baked potatoes......:laugh:

#18 ·
Onion chives.....pretty tasty. February is a little early for anything to come alive around here. Took a little stroll and checked a few things out to get a plan for when things do warm up. Blueberry bush is taller than me......:thumb: Need to get the weeds and old canes out of the raspberry patch.

#20 ·
Earliest I'll risk putting plants in the garden is mid-May......I'm still 10 weeks out. I'll set 'em on the covered porch where they are protected from frost when highs average in the 50's.......move 'em to the deck on good days where they can get full sun. When it goes below freezing they come in the house.

Two weeks and I get the seeds started......:thumb:

#22 ·
Be a good time for the cilantro.

I may see if the school will be selling plants this year. None of the g-monsters are going there but I'll see if I can have them select a student that I can buy from. Kids don't go door-to-door for anything around here......not even Halloween. The houses are way too far apart.

#23 ·
Did the LB get the plants in the ground for ya, Rich??

I may shoot for the 13th for peppers.......gives 'em about a 10 week head start. Maters might be a week later.

Still planning on moving the garden inside of my yard to keep the deer out. I've had 0 success for 2 years and getting tired of the results.

#24 ·
Nutin' in the round yet . . I hired the neighbor teenager to spade the garden, then planned to till the next day . . then the bottom fell out! !

Rain for to days now . . and one more in the forecast, so it will probably be at least a week before he can till

major bummer

#25 ·
I noticed you were gettin' some rain.....I think we're gettin' it now.

Not much to do around here this time of year.....other than to get ready. Once the season's here it's pretty much gone......then you plan for the next season.....:laugh:

#26 ·
Time to get set up for seedlings. I may invest in a heat mat this year.......the morning sun heats the kitchen table pretty good but that only covers the morning.

Kid went to the store a few days ago and spotted some fruit trees at a good price......$12.99. He brought home a Gala apple and.....and.....an Ayers pear. All I gotta do now is figure out where I want to plant them. I'll have to hitch a ride with him next time he goes to the store and see what selection they have......a few plum trees would be nice as well as some peaches.

#27 ·
Pepper seeds are planted for what it's worth.....the tray is sitting on top of my tower for heat. Next time my son goes to Home Depot I'll tag along and buy a seed tray heating mat.....and another seed tray for the 'maters. I used a plastic carry-out container from a restaurant......has a nice tight lid and plenty of room for the 12 peat pellets. It's ~8" square and 2 1/2 " tall....perfect. Got a few more of those containers.....may just buy the peat pellets.

I don't know if the neighbor will be tilling this year.....if he does, I'll have him do the big garden again and maybe plant beans and corn again. Just can't seem to break away from having a large garden......nice to grow your own veggies even if it's a pita sometimes......:laugh:

'Maters will go in the fenced area.....I'm tired of the deer ravaging my plants.

#28 ·
The kid came over Thursday and tilled . . planted maters and all the peppers. got a little rain this morning, but has been mostly sunny since the planting . . He did not plant the maters as deep as I would have, but they will be ok.

LB is planting flowers today and soon all will be planted and we just enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.