Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Yard and Garden

Garden Status 2017

This is a discussion on Garden Status 2017 within the Yard and Garden forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Might be a little early to start this thread......except for those who live in southern states. I'm thinking Texas..... Got

Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

Might be a little early to start this thread......except for those who live in southern states. I'm thinking Texas.....

Got my new seed catalog......pretty much right on time depending on what type and how much seed you need. Wait too long and you will be locked out on some seeds when they sell all available stock.

My garden will be much smaller this year and moved to a better protected area......inside my fenced yard. I don't plan on freezing or canning any vegetables this time around.....all will be eaten fresh.

I'm still determined to try my hand at 'Corleone' tomatoes after striking out on 3 previous attempts. Deer love 'mater plants but I have yet to see a deer in my fenced yard.....rabbits get in on occasion but the dogs take care of them. Too much of a pain to erect temporary fence so I'll just move the garden to an area that is already fenced..... As for the dogs, I'll drive a few posts and string some cheap 'caution tape' and hope it works.

I plan on starting seeds mid March.
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

On the "In Your Garden" show last Sat., Ron Wilson said it's time to start choosing from our seed catalogs. You're right on time.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I sowed seeds in a flat early in January ( with full moon ) and just finished moving the last seedling to individual 6-packs.

I planted Cilantro Basil, onions and thyme in December so they are pretty far along now. 'maters, Jalapenos, Cayenne and Habaneros are about 1.5 inches and looking good

Everything is in the greenhouse now, but temps are getting warmer, so I'll be putting the cilantro in the outside pots this weekend. Shooting to have everything in the ground by March 1

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

Going through the seed catalog now......Corleone's are still 90 a seed. Gonna go with a few I tried before......Nugget and Sugary.....both cherries.

Done.....seeds are ordered. 4 kinds of 'mater plants.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

Seeds are on their way according to email from Park......

One of my favorite programs was "Crockett's Victory Garden".......back in the 70's.... Many other good programs from PBS back then.....Julia Child, Justin Wilson, Bob Ross, etc..
Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Administrator
TSF Manager

Seeds are here. In another month they get started......might do peppers a week earlier. Not much of a window in this area.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Attachment 301105The Babies this morning . . This is about half of the crop so far . . This is the first year I have grown Geraniums from seed and looks like it will be successful

I potted some Cilantro in the large pots that will be home for the little darlin's for the next few months. The Basil will be next. Still too early to put anything in the ground, we almost always have one last frost in February

Click image for larger version

Name:	babies2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	301113

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

Lookin' good so far......

I'm a month out on starting any seeds......thinkin' about rigging up an 'over-shelf' above my desk for the heat. Once they sprout I'll have to move the critters to a location with better lighting......or adjust my blinds to let sunlight in. My desk on an exterior wall.....centered on the window. Faces West and the afternoon sun can be brutal.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

First time in 3 or 4 years I get to plant a garden again. And I have miss my home grown produce.

Warm enough during most days here now to put the seed trays in direct sun on the deck. Just starting as I don't want things too tall before transplanting. Last average frost around here is April 15.

I finally got myself some pear seeds in seedling stage now. I have been trying years to get these to even sprout. At least now I can purchase pears from Tram-law (Wal-mart) in variety I like and get my trees that way. I just didn't want to spent $30 a tree.

The reg garlic and the garlic chives are already up, I just planted the shallot bulbs. They should sprout rather quickly as they have been in cold storage.
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

I'm jealous.....

Anything planted even on Memorial Day is at risk up here. That's usually when I set the 'maters and peppers in the garden.....and I lost them the next day to frost some years. Last time my plants were threatened with frost I used the boxes from 12-packs to protect them......looked like a cemetery when the boxes were in place.

If I can find a decent selection I'll plant a few fruit trees this year.......no cherries. I'd like cherries but the birds take a toll on my raspberries as it is. I tried strawberries once and the birds took care of that plan. About the only critters I don't have are squirrels......they're up the road and can stay there.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

I like sweet cherries but just too cold for them as bloom too early. I had them 15 south of here but only sour cherries will make it here.

I keep my fruit tree fence off here as I would not even have apples or peaches if the 2 Emus have their way. They were stripping my native plums off before they even got ripe the last year I was on my old place.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

Plums would be nice.....apples I don't eat much of. When I was a kid the neighbor let us have our way with his apples. May try peaches again.

My daughter has fruit trees......planted by the former homeowner. The apples she feeds to her animals and the plums rot on the ground.....
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Moderator Offline

AVB

Be careful of the pear trees. they can be a real PIA:

I hate pears

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
AVB

Be careful of the pear trees. they can be a real PIA:

I hate pears

BG

.....I know.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Eating pear I can sell fairly easily.

Now if you're referring to Bradfords I just had about 24 of them taken out. And those thorns can make some petty nasty sores. I got tire of clean up everything a storm came through.

When the electric company volunteer to cut them down and remove them for free I couldn't turn it down. Just going to plant dogwoods in their place. Besides dogwoods smell a lot better than those stinky Bradfords although those Chinese chestnuts are just about as bad to me but at you get something in return for putting up with them.

« Ready for winter | - »