Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Electronics

Switching video source on a TV without remote?

This is a discussion on Switching video source on a TV without remote? within the Electronics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My in-laws have a basic Sanyo CRT TV. THe function to switch to the composite video input is on the

Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

My in-laws have a basic Sanyo CRT TV. THe function to switch to the composite video input is on the remote, and not on the TV itself. The problem is, they don't have the remote.

If I use the menu button on the actual TV, I can only switch the source between "cable" and "VHF/UHF", which doesn't appear to do anything at all. Using the channel button to go down past channel 2 just loops back around to channel 101 or something. It doesn't go to the alternate video input even if I have an active source plugged into it at the time.

They also have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 cable box hooked up, which I originally thought would solve their problem. It also has an auxiliary input, and the "video source" key is clearly visible on the remote, which they do have. But, whoops, the video source key doesn't do anything!

Is there some key combination that is common on Sanyo TVs to switch video input when they have for some reason disabled any other method of doing it? Alternatively, does anyone know why an Explorer 8300 that otherwise works fine would not respond to the video source key? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi shadow1515

On the menu screen is there a settings option ? If not, Pick up a universal remote they are not expensive and may access the function settings for the video.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

If you "unlock" the remote you can use the video source button. Press TV, then press and HOLD Setup until TV flashes. Press 9-7-3 and TV will flash again. Now the remote in unlocked.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote