Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Electronics

Polaroid 42" LCD TLX-04240B TV

This is a discussion on Polaroid 42" LCD TLX-04240B TV within the Electronics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Today I turned on my tv and the Polaroid symbol came up and then the screen went black. I still

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Today I turned on my tv and the Polaroid symbol came up and then the screen went black. I still have sound, but no picture. Can someone please help me by telling me what capacitor I should change in order to get this TV working again. Polaroid wants $250 for a new control box but I don't have that type of money to spend on a brand new tv.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

I would check all connections in the panel before looking for a blown cap.
Half the time the caps bleed this black or grey stuff and are easy to spot.

How old is it?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWunsch995 View Post
Today I turned on my tv and the Polaroid symbol came up and then the screen went black. I still have sound, but no picture. Can someone please help me by telling me what capacitor I should change in order to get this TV working again. Polaroid wants $250 for a new control box but I don't have that type of money to spend on a brand new tv.
It is a black capacitor towards the right side of the top board. It is 1.25" in diameter, black, 220uf 450v 105*. Top should be bubbled slightly. I replaced mine because of the same problem and it has worked fine since. I had a hard time finding a replacement but finally did at electronicsurplus.com. Hint...if you get it there, there is a processing fee for orders under $15.00. Just add a roll of solder to your order like I did and it cost me $15.90 for the parts and with shipping and tax, total was $26.39. Quite a drop from the repair guys. They don't like to fix the problem, they prefer to replace the entire board. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way, I took pics of mine. If you need to see them, let me know.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox View Post
It is a black capacitor towards the right side of the top board. It is 1.25" in diameter, black, 220uf 450v 105*. Top should be bubbled slightly. I replaced mine because of the same problem and it has worked fine since. I had a hard time finding a replacement but finally did at electronicsurplus.com. Hint...if you get it there, there is a processing fee for orders under $15.00. Just add a roll of solder to your order like I did and it cost me $15.90 for the parts and with shipping and tax, total was $26.39. Quite a drop from the repair guys. They don't like to fix the problem, they prefer to replace the entire board. Good luck.

I just replaced mine and i still have the same problem. Any other solution?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Can i see the pix?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

We too replaced that cap and ours is working great. The original cap didnt look burnt up or anything. But we made sure to fix all cold solder joints on our board too while we had it open.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
does anyone have the link to buy this part: 1.25" in diameter, black, 220uf 450v 105*.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi, I cannot find the cap you mentioned on my tv board, you mentioned you have pictures? I'd like to see them, I'm sure I'll have a better idea then. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with my polaroid tv. Went to electronisurplus.com and could not find the part you are referring to. Do you have a mfg # and/or part#? Could you send pics. Tks!!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

They do have the part but i dont think its the problem. i got the exact part and the problem is still there. This sux! i will never buy Polaroid product again! i hope they crash and go out of business!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Please help / Us, i changed that part and the problem is still there. I cant take this any more help please!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Registered Member

my polaroid 42 lcd tlx-04240B tv is 1yr 6mon. old and it's having similar problems. but the tv turns on and picture is fine for about 3 to 10 minutes (varies) and then screen goes black and sound remains and blue power light stays on. So i turn power off and back on and wait the short polariod process and picture looks fine for about 3 to 10 minutes and then black screen again. I can repeat process over and over so i'm hoping there isn't too much wrong or maybe some part i can order and replace. all advise helpful - thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hideskinner: Read Toolbox's reply to bingham602 right above your post. When our tv went out is was doing exactly what you said. We went to our local electronics supply store and ordered a new capacitor..a different brand than the one already in tv, and ours has been working great ever since. We were told tht the company that made the cap in the tv currently went bankrupt and was known for making faulty parts.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Hideskinner: Read Toolbox's reply to bingham602 right above your post. When our tv went out is was doing exactly what you said. We went to our local electronics supply store and ordered a new capacitor..a different brand than the one already in tv, and ours has been working great ever since. We were told tht the company that made the cap in the tv currently went bankrupt and was known for making faulty parts.
Can you please tell me the name of the place so i can order another one? im already down $50 from the other order....
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
please send pics. i have no clue of what too replace? have taken the cover off the back of tv and nothing in there looks like what yall have described. need more help please.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham602 View Post
Please help / Us, i changed that part and the problem is still there. I cant take this any more help please!
i too have replaced the capacitor and the problem still exist. even though our tv's have the same problem - turns on and beautiful picture for about 3 to 8 minutes and then screen goes black - i am taking mine in for a professional opinion tomorrow - will inform of outcome when i get it back. has anybody else got theres repaired?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Registered Member

Well I'm not sure what to tell all of you about the capacitor I replaced. When I replaced it the tv worked fine for a couple of days then the same problem. I ended up taking it to a repair shop and they had it for 7 weeks and couldn't get it to go out. I went back and got it and have had no problems since I got it back. Only thing I changed was to put my sump pump on a different circuit breaker. When the pump kicked on, there was quite a power draw on the tv. Don't know if that had anything to do with it but the problem seems to be gone and I'm happy for now.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Registered Member

its not the 220uf cap @ 450v check the ec 9 cap under shield its 1000uf @ 10v unless you have an cap an inductance antizer its hard to tell unless the cap is burged up Lake hickory erlectronics 828-781-3713 or e-maill address removed, please contact via Private Message

D_F
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mkcawcutt Send a message via MSN to mkcawcutt

Hey Guys.

I've had the exact same results. Tv is on for X amount of time and screen goes black. I have power and sound, but no picture.

I've ordered and am awaiting my new 220uF 450V capacitor. It does feel slightly bubbled. However I do not know enough about capacitors to know if it is burned or not. It's slightly bubbled so I "think" it's bad.

Anyway, if it's not this one you guys are saying it's a 1000uf one? Is this under the heat sinks? If so which one the shorter or longer heat sink? There's two short heat sinks and one long one.

Has anybody successfully fixed this long term?

Thanks.

M