Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Electronics

HD channels pixelated on HD LCD TV

This is a discussion on HD channels pixelated on HD LCD TV within the Electronics forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have having a problem and dont know if this is common or not but I have a Sony

Old 08-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. I have having a problem and dont know if this is common or not but I have a Sony Bravia LCD HD TV and HD channels, mostly sports channels look like crap. (Yes I have a HD cable box btw) I mostly watch soccer and the players on the field look pixelated. Some screens:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

The pictures are kind of crap but you can se what I mean and this happens when the player are in motion or not.

Look around the players and you will see what I mean. Its not just the players but the ball as well. Its somewhat noticeable from a distance but VERY noticeable up close. Is this normal or am I missing something. I am using a HDMI cable as well. I dont notice these pixels when watching a blu ray movie or playing video games. Is it the TV or the cable box?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Its a tuning problem , try adjusting the gain on your set (if available) bring the tuner to its optimum setting. Call your cable company and have them do a diagnostic on their signal to your house. Signal loss can come from anywhere but the most common is a loose connection from the cable box to the set because the connections are tightened by hand instead of using a tool.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't know how to adjust the gain. So this is the cable box issue?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Looks like MPEG compression artifacts. Most carriers use MPEG compression (similar to DVDs) to send their signals in order to conserve bandwidth. What does this mean for the viewer? Blockiness, especially in fast-motion scenes like those seen in sports.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Moderator Automotive Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcat12 View Post
I don't know how to adjust the gain. So this is the cable box issue?

If you can watch dvd's clearly without anything hooked up..yes it is.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote