Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop cpu

SOLVED 
6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Stancestans 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have the HP Pavilion 15-ab143cl laptop with the AMD Quad-Core A10-8780P APU and I would like to turn up the speed from 2ghz to at least 2.5ghz. I've never overclocked a factory built machine so I need expert assistance.

#7 ·
My laptop has a dedicated GPU as well as integrated graphics and both are active, but switchable. Graphics intensive applications use the dedicated one while less graphically intensive ones use the integrated one; as a power saving mechanism. Many laptops have such a configuration these days and dynamic switching is implemented by the system's power environment. You cannot simply assume that the integrated gpu is completely disabled in the presence of dedicated graphics, especially in a laptop. Besides, most laptops are not designed for overclocking.

#11 ·
You can use an external SSD or HDD for storage. I'm not sure what you mean by "tandem". There is only one primary (ie: C:) drive which is used to hold the OS and is bootable. By default, Windows doesn't support booting from an external (USB) device. But you can use any number of secondary (storage) drives whether they are internal or external.

#12 ·
Overclocking any OEM computer is almost always a bad idea and that goes double for laptops. Laptops lack virtually everything necessary for safe and effective overclocking. Overclocking means higher power consumption and more heat and Laptops are poorly equipped to handle either. Many laptops have heating problems at stock speeds and overclocking compounds the problem. There are other potential issues as well.

OEM manufacturers are well aware of these issues and usually omit the settings necessary for overclocking. This saves you from the resulting failures and them from the resulting warranty claims.

It may be possible to overclock with software but the risks would be high and the results rarely satisfactory. Overclocking a laptop is a job for an expert looking for a challenge, not something really practical.

Overclocking is best confined to home built computers where you have control over the specifications and quality of all components.

#14 ·
You could replace the HDD with the SSD and then transfer the Windows installation from the HDD to the SSD (system cloning). You'll want apps and the OS on the SSD, then have your data stored on the (externally attached) HDD, especially media files. Just get a HDD enclosure/caddy. If your laptop has usb 3, then get a usb 3 enclosure for best speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.