Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exult for Ultima7 won't stay installed..Huh?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  spirittoo 
#1 ·
I install the old Ultima 7 game on my window 7 computer. While in the game something happen that cause it to lock up when I accidentally deleted a game. After that the short cut for exult was missing. The files were no where to be found.

I reinstalled the exult and was able to go into the game. The game was where I left it so there has to be a game save somewhere, but it is not where it should be. When I close out the game I'm in the same situation as before, no trace of exult where it should be.

There is a read me file that is part of the install that is hooked up with the browser firefox. After the lock up from the game and trying to reinstall exult, when ever I open fire fox I get a quick screen flash of it checking for compatibility which is something it doesn't normally do.

I tried to make sure all parts of it was removed from the computer I even when into the registry and deleted any exult related entries, and use a program to clean the registry. Still it would not stay installed.

I got ultima exult installed on another computer and there is no problem with it, but I didn't have that episode with the bad delete and lock up. I took the ultima files from the computer with the game save information and put it in the computer with the software not staying installed in put those files in.

Still could not get exult to stay install and what is even more strange, the game save info did not change! Also when I tried to put the files into the program files (x86) I got an error message.
There was an error on the server for the file
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Exult\AUTHORS.txt”

Error: The file system reported an error.
Additional information: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

Files have got to be hidden where I can't see them even though I have all hidden files showing:facepalm:

The only way I can get into the game is to keep reinstalling exult.

The folks on the exult support form have no idea what the problem is other that it's not exult that is the cause of the problem. This is one head scratcher ... any ideas?:nonono:

See less See more
#2 ·
Save files aren't always in the actual game folder, many games use the save game folder in your profile.

As for why it's being removed, I'm not sure.

You could run sfc /scannow to ensure the Windows core files are undamaged. You could also try installing in Safe Mode.

As to the error “C:\Program Files (x86)\Exult\AUTHORS.txt”, the file is apparently missing. Do you actually see the file noted in the error in that folder?

#3 ·
I'm not seeing any file any where other than the ones I put in myself in my profile files, but it doesn't make any difference. If I can find what is hidden and get rid of it short of doing a clean install of windows I could get somewhere with it.:nonono:

I'll try what you suggest and get back to post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.