Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Home Theater

How do connect my new TV to old receiver?

This is a discussion on How do connect my new TV to old receiver? within the Home Theater forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My TV has a digital coaxial and I want to connect it to my old receiver that has RCA input

Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

My TV has a digital coaxial and I want to connect it to my old receiver that has RCA input connections. It's a pioneer S201. the reason is my TV has terrible bass speakers. Just experimenting to make it a little better without spending much and learning in the process. I believe the stereo needs analog signal.Is the a cheap digital audio to analog audio converter.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

any ideas yet. bump

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team

Iallwork, does your receiver have dedicated analog 5.1 inputs? Are you hoping to get discrete surround sound to the receiver, or just stereo?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

just stereo. My receiver doesn't have 5.1. Just left and right.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Are you sure there's no RCA stereo outputs on your TV? What's the brand and model number?

If you absolutely need to get from optical to analog, something like this would do: Amazon.com: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter: Electronics

Or you could put the money towards a new receiver ;)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-six View Post
If you absolutely need to get from optical to analog, something like this would do: Amazon.com: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter: Electronics
Yuck. After reading more about a lot of these converters, many of the cheap ones can't downmix 5.1 to stereo. If you used something like that with your TV for HD stations, you'd still get no audio unless you can force your tv to output stereo over the digital signal. I still have hope that your TV has an analog audio out!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

The jack looks like RCA but it says coaxial audio and s-video, lots of RCA jacks but just input for those. My TV is a 46" element. It's not a name brand but we like it except for the bass has to be turned way down. So I'm looking for cheap solution for now till I can get some cash save up, plus I like to tinker. Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

just looked at your manual and it looks like you do have rca ports - if its red, white and yellow give them a try.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

The row of 5 sets of RCA jacks are for component 1 & 2 . The row of 3 sets are AV 1 & 2 in. Wouldn't all of these be input? I need to move my stereo into the living room to do this and find my RCA cables to try it. Might by tomorrow before I try it.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
just looked at your manual and it looks like you do have rca ports - if its red, white and yellow give them a try.
It's hard to be sure if you've got the right manual unless they post a model number. There's more than one 46" Element TV. Also, for an audio output, it probably won't be paired with a yellow composite output, so we're looking for just red/white probably.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

I checked out a manual for a 46" Element TV that matched what you're describing. It didn't have an analog audio output (the coax output is digital). It does have a headphone output, however. The impedance on that may not be exactly what your receiver is expecting, but it's the only option without adding a digital-to-analog converter and it's close enough. You'd need a Y-adapter cable (1/8" stereo mini on one end (mini headphone plug), and stereo male RCA on the other. They're under $10 if you don't have one. You may have to tweak the volume on your TV and receiver to get the levels where you want them.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

ELDFW464 I think this is the model #. I don't see any headphone jack. There is a place to plug in 3.5mm. But it is for the PC audio input, so I don't think that will work. Looking through the manual I think, now that I'm talking to you guys and trying to figure this out, that the only audio output is the coaxial. I've been looking up some surround sound systems and I was noticed that they have dvd players and am fm receivers and what not. Is there any that are just stripped down to just the digital decoder, (or what ever it is) and I would think it would have to have an amplifier of some sort. Or i suppose the digital to analog converter would be cheapest since I have some speakers and my stereo receiver. You can tell I don't know much about this yet.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-six

It's hard to be sure if you've got the right manual unless they post a model number. There's more than one 46" Element TV. Also, for an audio output, it probably won't be paired with a yellow composite output, so we're looking for just red/white probably.
Forgot about receiver part it
Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iallwork View Post
ELDFW464
Ok that's what we needed. The person that designed your TV is a rat fink. You were correct in guessing there's no analog output. Actually, they were cheap; they saved a few bucks by leaving out a digital-to-analog audio converter.

You'll either need a converter box that goes from coaxial or optical to RCA, or you'll need a new receiver. If you're tight on money, look around for a converter with decent reviews and that won't break the bank.

If you can spend a few bucks, a budget home theater receiver can run as low as $150 (even for name-brand like yamaha or pioneer). I know you only need stereo (and not surround sound), but most budget stereo receivers don't include a digital input. If you want to do some shopping in that category, sign up for the email deals from newegg.com. You're likely to catch a budget receiver in there every few weeks. Amazon's prices fluctuate a lot, you may get lucky there as well. The prices at crutchfield.com may be a little higher, but they're a good company to do business with.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #15

Also, to be clear, if you want to get a coax-to-RCA box and keep using your receiver, you'll need a converter, not just an adapter.

The coaxial output on your TV is digital. You'd need a product that actually converts the digital signal to analog, not just an adapter that changes coax to RCA.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

Looking at my manual the coaxial looks like the kind you screw in but it is actually has the RCA end. I realize that I will still need a converter though. I will do some pricing. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I am ordering the right stuff till I get it in in the mail and see it. So,I don't see any optical jacks, but shouldn't need them long as I get coaxial with the RCA ends( at least the end that goes in the TV). I will probably just look for a budget home theater receiver like you say. Or I might end up spending money on something that will sound just as bad. Thanks again for all the help. I will try the newegg thing. I will try to let you know what I end up doing.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #17

You're welcome, and good luck.

Yes, a digital coax will often have an RCA connector. If you end up looking at something and you're hesitant about if it's the right way to go, feel free to post that too.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Would something like this work
Sony STR DE697 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Surround Sound Receiver | eBay
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

I have to leave, so I may not make it back in time to get this one.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Registered Member

so what ever home theater receiver I purchase will have to have a coaxial audio input? The guy that designed this TV really was a rat fink!