Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Home Theater

HDTV: all I get is 480i

This is a discussion on HDTV: all I get is 480i within the Home Theater forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm really stuck here and have searched my butt off and cant find any help. Here's the story: I have

Old 09-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm really stuck here and have searched my butt off and cant find any help. Here's the story:

I have a Vizio 26 inch LCD HDTV, I just got IPTV cable installed that has 5 free (local) HD channels. The box is a ADB-3800W. I connect the tv to the box with HDMI and AV and switch between the 2 for HD vs non-HD channels.

Problem:
When I have it set to HDMI and watch a anything (even a NFL game) on the HD channels the Vizio display says it's in 480i SD. The manual says it detects the signal automaticaly and displays what it sees. The picture isn't really wacked like if I was using the HDMI only for non-HD channels, but is isn't HD or even normal TV. pixeled colors with rough edges.
I also should add that the ADB box has a HD LED that does light when I am on the HD channels.

My coop provider tech support is non-existent to say the least. Every time I call I am asked to leave a message by their service. Hey, I'm in the woods getting a 3 Mbps DSL line (yea, I tested it) and IPTV.... COOP's do have it's bennies but support isnt one of them.

Please, any ideas? Im stuck. Thx.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Vetustior Humo

Frst of all, welcome to TSF. We're glad you found us.

From the Visio owner's manual:

Quote:
Caution: Do not apply pressure or throw objects at your HDTV. This may compromise the integrity of
the display. The manufacturer’s warranty does not cover user abuse or improper installations.
Don't know why but I find this funny. Hopefully you're not to this stage yet.

My guess is the problem is in the provider signal not the TV. Just because it says its an HD channel doesn't mean they are sending a HD signal. Try turning the ADB off, unplugging it for 30 minutes, then turn it and the TV back on. Then go to a known HD channel when they should be sending a HD signal - NFL game, prime time network show, etc. (The service suppliers web site will list which channels are HD and which are not.) The Visio should see it. If not, call the IPTV provider - as difficult as that will be - and insist they address your issue. Another way is to call the IPTV sales office - they always answer the calls - and say you want to upgrade to their full HD package but need to get it to work first , and can they help.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I don't know the systems up there in Wisconsin.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Check the cable box as well. Mine defaults to 1080i output over HDMI and component.

You may also want to remove the switch as it might be causing the problem.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread