Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Fixing Outdoor Receptacles

18K views 240 replies 26 participants last post by  ~Mark 
#1 ·
I have two outdoor receptacles like this, one on the front porch and the other on the back balcony. Neither of them work. My voltage tester is showing no current. I checked my panel and only saw one circuit breaker that has a "test" button so I pressed it and then went back to test both receptacles but no difference. I do not have a single GFCI outlet in my home, as far as I'm aware.

How do I fix these outlets?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Fixing Outdoor Receptacles

The button is the yellow thing and yes i pressed it.
No they are both as is.. Have always been since we moved in.

#4 ·

It should, I would think, a test button and a reset button. I don't have any GFCI breakers, just GFCI outlets.

Turn the breaker off and then back on and check again for voltage.

Your outlets should have waterproof covers on them. See a fair amount of rust.

BG

#5 ·

Does your Klein's LED turn red when you test the hot (small) slot of the receptacle?

Does your Klein's LED turn red when you test any other known-working receptacle?

#6 ·

Bg, turning breaker off and on doesnt help. Im not even 100% sure thats the breaker for the outdoor outlets..
I just assumed it was..

And yes the tool works well on other receptables but for these two outdoor ones it doesnt go red at all no matter what side hole its in

#7 ·

That breaker could control your kitchen, bathroom. GFCI are code I think for those rooms.

You need to check the outlet itself to see if the wires are hot. Turn off the breaker
pull the outlets out of there box. Turn the breaker back on, now check for power where the wire are connected.

BG

#8 ·

You need to check the outlet itself to see if the wires are hot. Turn off the breaker
pull the outlets out of there box. Turn the breaker back on, now check for power where the wire are connected.
Like I said, the panel hasnt been labelled to identify those outdoor receptacles so it will be near impossible to know if I've turned off the correct circuit breaker before proceding to safely dismantle the receptacle.

#88 ·

Like I said, the panel hasn't been labelled to identify those outdoor receptacles so it will be near impossible to know if I've turned off the correct circuit breaker before proceding to safely dismantle the receptacle.
To clarify some of the previous posts: So much information! By now you probably have the job all finished up!

Someone pointed out that you can turn off the main breaker to your house, which will "power off" everything in the house. That's the safest way.

You seem concerned about getting shocked. Wear thicker, dry (leather) work gloves, a layered jacket (not a windbreaker), stand on a dry piece of plywood, and tape up your screwdriver and pliers handles. Only use one hand at a time (meaning, put your other hand in your pocket). That way it would be extremely difficult to get a shock, no matter what happens with your tools. If your main breaker is off, this is unnecessary.

From your pictures, it looks as if the socket mounting screws are so badly rusted you may not be able to get them out easily. Try a vise-grip if the screw heads get stripped out. If that doesn't get the socket out of the wall, you may have to pry, cut, bend or grind the screws or mounting bracket to get the socket out of the wall. Try not to damage the box that's mounted in the wall - it could be hard to replace it.

It is not likely that both the front outside outlet and the back outside outlet are both powered by the same breaker. It's possible that the rear outlet is powered off of the bathroom GFCI, if you have one.

Don't reuse the sockets. Replace them with a better quality socket, not the cheapest. Use a weather-resistant cover over the new socket.

Wiring the socket: Black wire to the Brass screw side, white wire to the silver screw. Bare wire to the green screw.

PS - In my house my outside outlets are powered by breakers that also power the inside outlets near the adjacent outside outlet, and they were not GFCI protected - it's an older house. My living room breaker powers my front outside wall outlet, and my family room breaker powers the back porch outlet.

#11 ·

I would also replace the outlets. They are broken and rusted, where there rust you probably have corrosion on the cooper wires.

Don't use the kind that only can be wired by sticking the wires in the back.

Also try to make sure you are in the correct breaker box.

BG

#12 ·
In your pic the GFCI breaker is tripped. That's the result of a fault, or pushing the test button. Switch it off, then close it to reset it. As mentioned, check bathrooms, kitchen, garage, along with outdoor recepts to see what's hot, and what's not.

#13 ·

If any doubt, kill all power, (main fuse or breaker). If you don't feel comfortable, call a licensed electrician.

#14 ·

oscer, I dont have a multimeter nor do I know how to use one to test the terminals.

rich, a tad bit expensive for something I won't be needing after I get these outlets in order. I will label the panel afterwards. Nothing is labelled now because we had a new one installed last summer and I didn't have a chance to.

I would also replace the outlets. They are broken and rusted, where there rust you probably have corrosion on the cooper wires.
yes, ill get GFCI outlets for both the front and back balcnony. I'll replace them both. I'll also get those weather resistant covers for them that allow you to have an wire plugged into the outlet and still have the box closed

Don't use the kind that only can be wired by sticking the wires in the back.
no no, i heard the older ones that need to be screwed in are the better bet anyways.

Also try to make sure you are in the correct breaker box.
yep, that's what ive been trying to have help identify this whole time.

In your pic the GFCI breaker is tripped. That's the result of a fault, or pushing the test button. Switch it off, then close it to reset it. As mentioned, check bathrooms, kitchen, garage, along with outdoor recepts to see what's hot, and what's not.
Can you re-explain what I need to do? I've already checked my entire house, aside from that fact that I'm certain, and we don't have any GFCI outlets anywhere. The only thing that's out of the ordinary when compared to all the outlets in the house is that each of the three washrooms have these:

Attachments

#15 ·

If the outside outlets are connected to the breaker that think control them, the GFCI breaker takes the place of GFCI outlets.

I would say the "Razor Only" outlet is not up to code, it is not 3 wire (Ground plug missing). It could be on the GFCI breaker. If it is on, turn off the GFCI breaker and see if that breaker controls it. Down here were I live require bathrooms, outside, kitchen
outlets to be on GFCIs.

BG

#16 ·

Where you live does the outlet need to be GFCI, the breaker or both?

#18 ·

So does that mean that when choosing my new outdoor outlets I don't need to opt for the GFCI ones since my breaker is GFCI?

By the way, I took your advice and turned off the GFCI breaker, then switched it back on, now the red tick has turned white on the breaker and I tested both the front and back outdoor outlets with my voltage tested and now there is current in the outlets. However, the non-contact voltage tester tells me there is current now but when I try to plug something into them, the item does not work. After plugging the item into each outlet, I tried checking the breaker to see if plugging it into the outlet may have tripped it but the white tick is still visible.

Why is this? (The good news is that that's the breaker for those outdoor outlets, as suspected.)

Attachments

#19 ·
You have Square D type QO breakers, which are some of the best for residential applications. The red indicator is exactly that, to show its tripped. With a GFCI breaker you do not know for sure if it tripped because of over current, or a ground fault.

Since a connected load doesn't work, you really need a more accurate method to check those receptacles. Non contact testers are okay for quick verification, but are of no use for real troubleshooting. You need to verify the polarity, line-neutral path, and line-ground. A decent solenoid voltage/continuity tester is about $40. You can get a GFCI plug tester for about $15. The former is more versatile.

The razor recept is obsolete. Address the outdoor recepts first.

As far as GFCI breakers, or receptacles, contractors will install the breaker(s) because it meets minimum code(providing required protection to all connected receptacles). Individual GFCI receptacles at the end use locations are more expensive to install, but offer a simpler end user experience. If it trips due to ground fault, you're right there to reset it, and the rest of the circuit shouldn't be affected.

#20 ·

I would buy a Digital Volt Ohm meter (DVOM). May have lost you negative/neutral connection. Here in town I can buy the from about $7.00 and up. I have a couple of really cheap ones and they work OK

You need to check the wires, not the slot in the receptacles.

BG

#23 ·

Individual GFCI receptacles at the end use locations are more expensive to install, but offer a simpler end user experience. If it trips due to ground fault, you're right there to reset it, and the rest of the circuit shouldn't be affected.
Downstream outlets are also protected if the circuit is branched through the GFCI receptacle. You just need to find which room the GFCI is installed in.....my house has a GFCI in the hall bath that covers the master bath. If the run had been 'pig-tailed' at the upstream receptacle I would need a GFCI at each location.

Ditch the razor receptacle......it's not even polarized. Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about......I don't shave. The g-daughter wanted to braid my beard the other day...:rofl:

#24 ·

... I don't shave. The g-daughter wanted to braid my beard the other day...:rofl:
Easier to keep:

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)

You need to verify the polarity, line-neutral path, and line-ground. A decent solenoid voltage/continuity tester is about $40. You can get a GFCI plug tester for about $15. The former is more versatile.
Can the former do everything the latter can do? If so, I'll opt
for the former solenoid voltage/continuity tester. However, I don't know how to verify "polarity, line-neutral path and line-ground." If I buy it, is it difficult to learn/use?

I know you're probably tempted to tell me to call a licensed electrician but I'd like to learn how to fix this myself. Afterall, this is a DIY forum. With electrical work,
I feel that if I take my time and am both careful and safe in what I do, I can acheive an end result.

While you're reading thing, which receptacles and weatherproof covers should I replace the existing ones with? I can't find any provincial regulatory codes that dictate anything so if you can suggest me the best ones I'll get those ASAP since I'm planning on changing everything out regardless since both existing receptacles are rusted.

Also, if you can suggest me one of each device you recommended; the solenoid teater and the GFCI plug tester.

Edit: Sorry, missed the second page before posting.

#26 ·

In AC current, they really don't + and -, it is hot and neutral and ground. With a wire
voltage tester(DVOM) you can't tell which is which. You contact tester can.
You should have three wire , Black, White and Bare copper, The White and Bare are your Neutral and the ground. Black &White you get 120vac, Black and Bare you get 120vac.

I not totally sure what kind of meter Vegas is talking about, but think I do.

I will see what I can find here in the USA as far as recpt and weatherproof covers.

BG

#27 · (Edited)

Google can be your friend. Search for youtube video on replacing receptacles and another on operating a digital multimeter. Pay close attention to the safety warnings. When you feel smart enough to give it a try make sure you are not alone. If you get shocked someone will need to get an ambulance quick.
While replacing the receptacles you should look closely at the wiring especially broken insulation exposing naked wires in the conduit or box. If you see any of this you should get an electrician to replace the faulty wiring immediately and shut the circuit breaker off until it's done. Don't take unnecessary chances, (shut off circuit breaker until the job is complete) and don't be cheap, (replace the receptacles with good quality and waterproof covers with gaskets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.