Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Leaky Toilet

13K views 153 replies 9 participants last post by  Solidify 
#1 ·
I have the exact same problem as this user in this post: My toilet is making a dripping sound inside the tank. How to stop it correctly? - Yahoo Answers

The flapper is fairly new (less than a year old), so I doubt that's the problem. And when flushed, the water in the tank refills well below the advised 1/2" from the top of that overflow tube.

Is there anything I can try before replacing the entire fill valve post on the left side?

Part 27 is what leaks constantly. If I detach and raise it, it stops and I could put it back and it works again... until someone flushes again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Leaky Toilet

You need to check the flapper valve first, to make sure it sealing.

Turn off the water to the tank. Measure the water level. Let is set 2-3 hours, measure it again. If the water level is down the flapper assembly is leaking water

BG

#3 ·

Theres no shut off valve on this toilet

#4 ·

And the master valve shuts off water to the entire building (i.e.: my house and all my tenants)

#6 ·

Yup, the entire building only has 3-4 installed. I'll take a day in the summer when temp heats up and tell tenants i need to shut off water for a couple hours and i'll do them all myself or have a plumber install them all.

Theres no way to troubleshoot this tank with the water on i guess then?

#7 ·

You should be able to use string to hold the float up. That will keep it shut off.

You got to get shut of valves on the toilets soon, especially if they are old toilets.

BG

#9 ·

I cant check the seal at the bottom of that post unless the water is off, or unless I put the string like BG said.

The supply line is connected with a copper pipe into the wall that has an aesthetic flange around it. Nothing special. All the toilets are old and without shut off valves.

Should I try adjusting the dial on that post to see if raising the float level will fix this? Does that sort of stuck loosed? Because I've never touched it and the problem is fairly recent.

#11 ·

Nope, I don't have those new braided supply lines; the lines are all made of rigid copper.

#13 ·

Ill def put a valve when i fix it

I think its best to do all the valves at once not to keep disturbing my tenants

#14 ·

Don't forget when you install the valves to replace the supply lines. Need to have good ones just to be safe like steel reinforced braided ones.

BG

#15 ·

Yea, i cant even put the old ones back if i wanted to since they're rigid copper lines. these are the ones im going to put/already have some places:

along with quarter turn compression valves from brasscraft

#16 ·

Excellent choice, those should last forever.

One other suggestion, if or when you have to replace the toilets consider getting ones that the bowl/seat is higher off the floor. Here in the USA I think the are called ADA
(Americans with Disability Act). They are not as tall as Handicap toilets, they are in between the two.

Older tenants love them. Both my bathrooms have them and we love them. Down side is they are not cheap.

BG

#17 ·

Down side is they are not cheap.
So where's the payoff if neither of us or our tenants are old?

#18 ·
Comfort, and ease of getting up and down from the seat. Marketing has also coined the phrase "comfort height" for models a couple inches taller than standard.

I agree with BG, they are worth the small, extra investment.

#19 · (Edited)

thanks, i'll consider it if/when we need new toilets. just dont wanna turn my toilet into a handicap parade, no offense. people will come over and recognize the elderly friednly bowl and think were.. well.. an odd bunch

edit: nvm i googled the ada toilet, it's not even noticeably different. thanks.

#20 ·

Well tenants do age or a new ones could be older. Taller people love them as you don't have to squat so low. I am only 5'6" but knees are not real good.

My brother-in-law is 6'2" and he had them installed in his new house after he used mine.

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a payoff, but may help renting or keeping a tenant.

Just something to keep in mind. Once you use them you fall in love with them.

BG

#21 ·

yeah, i hear ya bg. thanks again. it's a great idea. hopefully ill remember it when we decide to change out the toilet (if we do).. nothing wrong with em now

#23 ·

im really not in the business of looking for nicety with this dysfunctional family. if it works, it's good lol just trying to get by.. again, thanks

#25 ·

Just counted and need 15 valves installed. Avg 5$/speedway and 15$/valve, gonna cost near 300$ for the materials exvluding plumbing labour. Ouff

#26 ·

I might just convince my dad to help me do it in that case. I keep telling him that it doesn't seem like a difficult job but he kept telling me that that's what everyone says until they cut the pipe and can't get it done (so can't turn the main back on), which would be quite the predicament for our rental property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.