Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] need help plz on a 16.5 briggs

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Basementgeek 
#1 ·
hey guys i need help got a 16.5 briggs i put new starter on it and set valves at .004 went to start it and it broke starter gear 14 tooth checked valves again all good put new gear on .got it to start 5 times and runn for like 5 min each time runns great went to start it for the 6th time and bam broke starter gear why? starter is new one day old. this is ohv 16.5 briggs iam ready to junk it if i cant get it fixed

#4 ·
Re: need help plz on a 16.5 briggs

Are you sure you have the right starter? The factory installed mounts have the same bolt patterns but different length mounts. Some of the new Briggs starters come with a shim kit, (2 washers). It could be that the starter gear is hitting the flywheel. Is this a Vanguard by any chance?

#10 ·
Re: need help plz on a 16.5 briggs

If your fly wheel gear is steel you need starter gear part# 693713. Use a magnet to test to be sure. Once you have another good gear on there move it up by hand until it meshes teeth with the fly wheel gear and look to see if everything is lining up.

Here's a long shot but a possibility. Make sure your not over filled with oil, that matters. Swamped engines turn over hard, when there full there is no room for anything to move. Only other thing is a dismantle and inspection to determine what's causing the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.