Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

HELP! 6.5 B&S Intek runs rough

This is a discussion on HELP! 6.5 B&S Intek runs rough within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My B&S 6.5 HP Intek engine on a John Deere mower is running rough. It starts pretty well but when

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

My B&S 6.5 HP Intek engine on a John Deere mower is running rough. It starts pretty well but when I open the throttle the engine wants to die. I return the throttle to idle and it's OK. Once the engine warms up, it finally is able to run at full throttle, but I can hear the engine missing. Here's the interesting part. If I cover the hole in the primer bulb and push it in about an 1/8th of an inch the engine rpm raises and the engine miss goes away. However the engine stumbles badly if the primer bulb is pushed all the way in.

I rebuilt this carb a few days ago because this mower was known to have been stored in the winter months with fuel in the tank and the problem appears to be fuel related. The bowl and float were pretty nasty. I've done several carb rebuilds over the last year or so and have had good luck with them. The engine still has the symptoms mentioned above.

Any ideas? I need to get a hit on this mower. Thanks

Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

The engine may be running too lean, adjust the float level and the problem should go away.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, I will give it a try.