Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Dead Craftsman

This is a discussion on Dead Craftsman within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 4 year old Craftsman Kohler Pro 25 HP V-twin GT5000. Been working fine. Changed the oil/filter, new

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 4 year old Craftsman Kohler Pro 25 HP V-twin GT5000. Been working fine. Changed the oil/filter, new blades. Worked great until last week when I was mowing (in motion), it just died. Tried to restart it but it wouldn't even "click" so I assumed the battery bit the dust. Went out and bought a brand new battery, installed it.....nothing......dead. The battery is good. I then took the battery off and attempted to jumpstart directly from the cables.........still dead.

Rather than going to Sears and buying all the electrical parts, one at a time, is there a way to check the ignition switch to see if it's bad? All the wiring seems to look okay. What other parts could I check?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to the forum

Not knowing anything about your mower, the first thing I would check out the safety switch on the seat.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

You say that you took the battery off and then tried.
Can you explain exactly what you did there?
The battery needs to be installed to complete the circuit.

Did you touch the jumper cables to the starter terminal or did you just connect them to the cables where the battery used to be?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Pat,

I disconnected the battery, hooked jumpers up to my truck and directly to the terminals on the mower, still dead. So it wasn't the battery.

Besides, I tested the battery on my tester and it came it okay.

I found the schematic on it and I guess I'll try to use the process of elimination on the wiring, fuse, solenoid, ammeter and ignition switch.

BASEMENTGEEK: Thank you. I'm going to check that also since I never re-rigged it to stay on when you get off. Thanks. ~ Linda
Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

The first things that I would look at is where the ground connects to the engine and or frame and be sure that it is clean.
Next I would reinstall the battery and then jump.

Im not sure of that particular engine but does the starter motor have a large terminal like the type from the battery?
If so try to put the positive jumper cable directly to that terminal.
This will bypass the entire electrical system and determine if it is the starter motor
Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum

Not knowing anything about your mower, the first thing I would check out the safety switch on the seat.

BG
Yep, and there are at least 2 other safety switches that could cause this same problem. Used to have a Craftsman years ago and the first time this happened to me, was enough to drive a good man insane looking for the problem. Check those switches!!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Finally my son got it figured out. There was a wire that attaches to one of the terminals that was actually sheered clear off so you really couldn't tell it was supposed to be there at all.

Got it going and Lo and Behold, the BELT broke. Of course Sears didn't carry them in stock at the local store and I wanted it yesterday so I went to O'Reilly's and compared the old one to one they had and bought. My lawn mower is now running. I would think Sears would carry smaller parts for their mowers but I guess they don't care about customer support, because my son went in approx. 3 weeks ago for belts for both my riding mowers. The dummy at the counter didn't even ask for th Model number of the mower, just gave him a belt, which was way too big but my son assumed they knew what they were talking about.............NOT.

$43.75 for a belt that I probably can't take back because we don't have the receipt........sigh.

Thanks to all who helped me with this.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
Moderator Offline

Glad you got it up and running.

To be honest I have been impressed with Sears and their "Parts Direct" ordering. 2 years ago my 20+ year old Craftsman rider need a tank ($100.00) had it the same week.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Normally I would like to order online; however, the mower was down for quite a while and I was getting worried about finding my car.

I really didn't want to wait for another week for a simple piece of rubber that could have been stocked locally. The mower is only 4-5 years old and I don't think it would be asking too much of Sears to hold common parts for riding lawn mowers for people who need it right away.

As it turned out, the belt was $12 cheaper at O-Reillys anyway.

On the lighter side, I mowed some more (I have a really large yard, front, side and back) today and irritated a giant mutated bumble bee (haha) and got nailed on the side of my hand. Last night I mowed a tad after dark and......suddenly, I remember why I don't like to mow after dark.......SPIDERS AND WEBS in my face.....

Tomorrow I'll be carrying my stun gun.

Thanks for replying.