Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

craftsman tractor won't run

This is a discussion on craftsman tractor won't run within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 18hp 42inch deck craftsman tractor that runs for about 10-15 minutes, thens stalls and will not start.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 18hp 42inch deck craftsman tractor that runs for about 10-15 minutes, thens stalls and will not start. I already changed the pickup coil which was my first suspect but it still does the same thing. When it does die I tried spraying starting fkuid in the carb and it has no effect which makes me think it is an electrical issue but I don't know where to start.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

Hi,
I would suggest posting the model of the craftsman on here or at least the brand and model of the engine (or both)

Also it is best to check if the engine has spark after it dies.

You could get an inline spark tester, which is the best for testing the spark, and are cheap.

but you can probably get away with taking the spark plug out and with the wire still attached to it, let the bottom of the plug rest on the metal of the engine. Then spin the engine over. Just watch, hold the spark plug wire if you can, and let the plug rest on the metal. Its just for safty, they can put out a decent amount of spark.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. The tractor is a model #917-273399 and has a Tecumseh 18HP OHV Intek engine. I will have to try the spark test the next time I use the tractor, but it has a new plug and coil pack which I put on the first time it started acting like this. If I have no spark then that would mean my brandnew ignition coil is defective?