Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Coleman Powermate output

This is a discussion on Coleman Powermate output within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently purchased a used Coleman Powermate 4000 w generator. I had to clean the carburetor to get it running

Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently purchased a used Coleman Powermate 4000 w generator. I had to clean the carburetor to get it running and for grins I checked the output voltage and I'm getting 135V hot to ground and 270V between the two hot leads. I bought the generator to use as a household backup in case of winter power failure to run the referigerator and a couple lights and hopefully my gas furnace blower motor.

Won't this high a voltage fry my equipment. Is there a way to lower the output voltage.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Did you have a load on it ? Use some thing of a decent size, like a 500 W lamp, or a heater. The voltage may drop to 110-120 range.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

We use a 1500 watt heater to "exercise" our genny every three months or so.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Most Colemans didn't have regulated power, RPM's are directly related to output, VAC. At 3600RPM it should put out 120VAC. Test between the 2 spade terminals in the standard 3 pronged 110/120 outlet, the ground is not used for output testing.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search