octaneman, Thank You. I got it running again. When I read over your last post, I wanted to know just what type of carb I have.
I did a search on Vacu-Jet and found a terrific web site that lists various types of carbs and identifies them with photos.
The following web page shows my carb...
In that page, photo 7 shows how one needle valve controls both high and low fuel mix. Then look carefully at photo 6 and notice that there is a plastic insert that the needle valve goes into. Notice the o-ring at the end of the plastic insert. This forces the drawn fuel to go into the side hole of the plastic and out the end, controlled by the needle screw adjustment.
I had two problems with my mower.
First, was the broken flywheel key. I previously had hit a solid object with the blade while mowing. It must have broke the key. Soon after while using the mower the flywheel slowly slipped to a point where the mower no longer ran.
In my shop, before discovering the broken key, I had removed the carb to clean it out hoping that would fix the mower. Using compressed air I blew out the tiny holes. I had forgotten that the plastic needle insert came out. I also blew out the o-ring without realizing it and put the plastic back in without the oring. (2nd problem created). This would allow fuel to flow on the outside of the plastic insert to the high and low metering holes thus causing an uncontrollable flooding problem. That is also why my adjusting the needle no longer worked.
After some internet website education I soon found the broken key and fixed problem 1. Still motor did not run because of missing o-ring, problem 2.
After seeing the photo at this web site, hey I started having memory flash backs. The other day I found this strange tiny oring sitting on my shop floor and could not figure out where it came from. Also started to vaguely remember the plastic insert.
So I removed my carb and took out the needle. There was the plastic insert. Sure enough it had no o-ring. I could not find the o-ring that I previously found on the floor but found a proper size replacement from my stored assortment. Reinstalled everything and the mower cranked on the second try and runs great. (problem 2 solved)
Amazing how one little rubber ring can cause such major frustration and aggravation. Well it was a big learning experience for me about my lawn mower engine.