Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs & Stratton valve seat HELP!

This is a discussion on Briggs & Stratton valve seat HELP! within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a briggs & Stratton lawnmower Model-31G777, Type-0120 /E1/021127ZA. It stopped working and when I took the head off

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a briggs & Stratton lawnmower Model-31G777, Type-0120 /E1/021127ZA. It stopped working and when I took the head off I seen the valve seat had came loose from the head. Unfortunately the valve seat was cracked and needing replaced. I contacted B&S who told me they didnt sell the valve seat and I would have to replace the entire head!!!
Does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier who could help me out. Alternatively does anyone know where I can buy an oversized valve seat.
HELP! the grass is getting very long...

Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

Briggs is right. You cannot re-install a valve seat (well, you actually can, we have done it, unsuccessfully, and I do not recommend you trying it). Get a shortblock or a new engine.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Cheers K-B.
Sorry but your suggestion of buying a new engine is a silly as Briggs decision not to sell a $2 seat. Seems like a bit of a stitch-up, these engines are well known for popping the valve seat yet Briggs wont sell you a $2 seat, insisting that you need to buy a new head for $300. They will however sell you seats for different engines... just not this one.
Does anyone know if any other inlet-seats will fit this head, cant imagine that Briggs would use this cast for only one engine
Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegraz View Post
Cheers K-B.
Sorry but your suggestion of buying a new engine is a silly as Briggs decision not to sell a $2 seat. Seems like a bit of a stitch-up, these engines are well known for popping the valve seat yet Briggs wont sell you a $2 seat, insisting that you need to buy a new head for $300. They will however sell you seats for different engines... just not this one.
Does anyone know if any other inlet-seats will fit this head, cant imagine that Briggs would use this cast for only one engine
How many valve seats have you successfully replaced? Just curious.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

You may be able to find a guy with a lathe that could make one for you.
Though the proper material is a bit pricey. On a small engine something like 17-4 would probably live just fine and priced affordably.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-B View Post
How many valve seats have you successfully replaced? Just curious.
On a lawnmower, none, but on motorcycle, car and boat engines, many. Next step is to visit the local machine shop to see if they can make me a valve seat. Thanks for your help