Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine

This is a discussion on Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My briggs and stratton lawn mower engine has trouble starting. Right now everytime I want to start it up I

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

My briggs and stratton lawn mower engine has trouble starting. Right now everytime I want to start it up I have to put a new spark plug in it, but once it is started it runs great, any ideas? If you need any more info feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
T-Shirt Winner

My System

Send a message via MSN to grumpygit

Hi. I always put a shot of redex or something similar in my B&S when i leave it over winter. Before i put the mower away i just put a shot straight in the plug hole and turn it over without the plug in. It helps to stop any corrosion or fouling building up on the plug.
dont know if it will solve your problem but could be worth a try.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

HI, I replaced a connecting rod in a single cylinder 13hp briggs&stratton motor. I had to remove the camshaft to tighten rod bolts. Does the cam shaft have to go back in a certain way compared to piston and valve placement. Ron
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

razz22, you said you need to put a a new plug in every time, is the old plug fouled? Make sure there's fresh gas in it. You might have to clean the carburetor out.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

My 6.5HP OHV B&S won't start unless I spray starting fluid directly into the carburetor. I have replaced the needle valve and seat and the spark plug. Emptied old gas and put in new gas. Cleaned all residue from carburetor.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetymko View Post
My 6.5HP OHV B&S won't start unless I spray starting fluid directly into the carburetor. I have replaced the needle valve and seat and the spark plug. Emptied old gas and put in new gas. Cleaned all residue from carburetor.
Did you use carburetor cleaner to clean the carburetor? Does it have a fuel filter?