Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs and Stratton blowing gas out carb

This is a discussion on Briggs and Stratton blowing gas out carb within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Briggs model 407577 Type 0292 E1 21HP Intek V Twin engine that is blowing gas out of

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Briggs model 407577 Type 0292 E1 21HP Intek V Twin engine that is blowing gas out of the carb and flooding the engine. The few times it has actually cranked gas flows out of the muffler and drowns the spark plugs. I took the breather off and tried to crank it and gas is blowing out the back of the carb through the choke assembly. At first I thought it was a float/needle issue so I've put in a new carb kit. No luck. A friend of mine thinks that the engine is building too much pressure and said he had heard that replacing engine gaskets would fix this. I'm no mechanic but pretty good with my hands so I'm trying to fix the mower without paying $55 an hour. Most everything I've read pointed to a bad carb float/needle other than a few strings on a possible crankcase gasket being bad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

dc

Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Take the carb back off and shoot a little starting fluid into the intake where the carb mounts. Start it up and watch what happens. If it blows back out the intake there is something wrong in the engine. If it starts up and runs until the fuel runs out then it's a carb problem. Process of elimination.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sounds like it was stored with fuel in it for an extended period. Completely clean and rebuild the carb then check to make sure the intake valve is moving properly. If the engine started flooding over while it was in storage the old fuel may have formed a thick "varnish" on the intake valve stem causing it to stick open.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you for the responses. It's been a while since I've gotten to work on it. I checked it this afternoon and when shooting starting fluid in the intake the mower will run without blowing it back out the intakes. It will run as long as I keep squirting fluid in. It does run wide open and is really smoking. I have replaced the needle valve and all that stuff in the carb but not the float tube fuel plastic piece. That's the piece that the inlet jet goes into. Do I need to replace those two pieces, I think that's all that's left to buy, or get a new carb. Thanks.

dc
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Look up your/the parts that you are refering to here so we can help you better.