Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs and Stratton 8 hp power increase

This is a discussion on Briggs and Stratton 8 hp power increase within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just purchased a Toro Rear Engine Rider 8-32 with B/S 8 hp. Runs great but wish it had a little

Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just purchased a Toro Rear Engine Rider 8-32 with B/S 8 hp. Runs great but wish it had a little more power. How much additional hp could get I get with maximum overhaul, i.e., bore the cylinder, larger piston, and shaving head. Or ideally I would like to find a 12 hp but not sure if it would fit. Appreciate any info you can provide............

Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

I think I would check into a 10-12HP engine before I would try to soup up an 8 HP. Should not be that hard. Of course you may have to drill new mounting holes, match the electrical up.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unless you have "free" access to a machine shop and a buddy who can get you the parts at cost, trying to upgrade that engine would cost more than buying a new engine.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Briggs and Stratton blowing gas out carb
I have a Briggs model 407577 Type 0292 E1 21HP Intek V Twin engine that is blowing gas out of the carb and flooding the engine. The few times it has actually cranked gas flows out of the muffler and drowns the spark plugs. I took the breather off and tried to crank it and gas is blowing out the...
MDC4769 Small Engines 4 04-24-2011 05:57 PM
Briggs and Stratton
My Briggs and Stratton will start but not keep running.
Roy Allan Small Engines 2 04-05-2011 08:22 PM
briggs and stratton intermittent spark
i have a briggs and stratton motor fitted to a scott bonnar mower. the engine was new about 5 years ago and has not missed a beat. recently it has intermittently refused to start and checking the spark plug there in so spark. i cleaned and tested the spark plug with no spark.in the end i pulled the...
kowalskichris Small Engines 2 04-02-2011 06:30 PM
850 series briggs and stratton fuel problems
I have a poulan pro tilled that has a 850 series briggs. It is getting gas to the carb but not to the cylinder. You can pull and pull with no results. If u force feed the gas thru the carb by spraying it thru the throat of the carb then it will fire up and run u til it runs the gas out that u...
jmathews Small Engines 2 03-19-2011 03:45 AM
5hp briggs and stratton
I have rebuilt the carb on my 5hp b&s lawn mower and now it won't start. I also added new air filter and new spark plug. I checked the carb to make sure that there was fuel in the bowl after the rebuild and there was. What should I try next. Thank You.
76625536 Small Engines 1 01-28-2011 11:59 AM