Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs & Stratton 6.5hp blue smoke problem

This is a discussion on Briggs & Stratton 6.5hp blue smoke problem within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a little wonder leaf vac that is about 4 yrs old. It was not used since last fall

Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a little wonder leaf vac that is about 4 yrs old.

It was not used since last fall and when last used it ran without any issues.

It has a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton horizontal engine with 1" shaft with a fan blade attached to the front of it.

Today, I go to start it, give it a few pulls and then feel substantial resistance.

Pull the plug and it's clean.

So I remove the fan shroud and spin the fan backwards a few times and feel resistance at one position in each rotation.

Thinking that it may just be some built up debris behind the fan I spin it a bunch more times and off of a sudden the resistance disappears.

So I put the plug back in (still no fan attached) and give it a couple of tugs and it starts.

However, it's belching a tone of dark blue/grey smoke like it has way too much oil in it.

I check the oil level and it's half way between low and full.

Start it again, and still thick blue/gray smoke.

Suck out all the old oil and put in only 12 oz of oil and restart and now the smoke pretty much goes away.

So I put the fan blade back on, reassemble it all and give it a try.

Seems to work (produce normal power) as it did last year and I fill a few large bags with shredded leaves.

The oil that I removed had a very grey color to it -- not the normal used oil color that I'm used to but had no metal particles in in (at least none that I could feel)

Also, whenever I shut it down to empty the bag it would usually belch a puff of the blue smoke.

After I was done, I did a compression test and got only 60psi which I think is very low.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to start first?

Did a ring stick and break over the year of non use?

Head gasket?

Valves?

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

The funky oil is most likely from condensation from setting. The really hard to pull, I would not worry about it, since it is OK now.

Can't tell you anything really about compression reading. I don't think B&S
publishs them, or at least the didn't years ago.

I think the smoking maybe caused by a dirty/bad crankcase breather. Many times they can be cleaned with spray carb cleaner. They are on the side of engine.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote